Read the untranslated law here: http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/ehen_ndg/BJNR004019979.html
Law on the amendment of the marriage name (marriage name change law - EheNÄndG) EheNÄndG Ausfertigung date: 27.03.1979 full quotation: "marriage name change law of 27 March 1979 (BGBl. I p. 401)" footnote (+++ text detection from: 1 4.1979 +++) input formula the Bundestag approved the following law with the consent of the Bundesrat: art 1 § 1 marriage name change (1) spouses before 1 July 1976 marriage contracted, so they can explain common before the expiry of one year after the entry into force of this Act , that they want to lead the birth name of the woman as married name.
(2) paragraph 1 shall not apply if the marriage is dissolved or declared null and void.
§ 2 (1) extends to the birth name of a descent, which has completed the fourteenth year of life, the name change only then, when he joins his parents name change by declaration. A descendant of limited in legal capacity can only make the statement; He needs to do this, the consent of his legal representative.
(2) the former name of birth has become the married name of descent, as the change of name on marriage name extends only if the spouses jointly make the Declaration referred to in paragraph 1.
(3) the statements must be according to paragraphs 1 and 2 within one year; the period begins with the Declaration referred to in paragraph 1.
§ 3 (1) the statements require the public certification. You are to send the State officials responsible for their acceptance.
(2) the statements can be verified by the Registrar or notarized.
§ 4 (1) to receive of the explanation about the marriage name change of Registrar is responsible, leading the family book of the spouses; is a family book is not done, so the Registrar is responsible, which has certified the marriage. The Registrar will make the entry in the Personenstandsbuch guided by him on the basis of the Declaration.
(2) to the acceptance of the Declaration relating to the modification of the birth name, the Registrar is responsible, which has documented the birth of descent; He makes the entry in the birth register on the basis of the Declaration.
(3) the spouses entered into marriage outside the scope of this Act and is a family book is not done, the Registrar of the revert I in Berlin (West) is responsible. He granted, if he causes no Personenstandsbuch, that on the basis of the Declaration of a registration to make would be the explanatory and continued by the declaration concerned a certificate of receipt and the effects of the Declaration. The same applies if the birth of the descent in the territorial scope of this Act is beurkundet.
(4) the Federal Minister of the Interior is authorized to adopt regulations about the further treatment of the statements and the reporting obligations of the Registrar in consultation with the Federal Minister of Justice and with the consent of the Federal Council on the implementation of this law.
Type 2 Berlin clause this law applies in accordance with § 13 para 1 of the third of Reconciliation Act also in the Federal State of Berlin.
Type 3 entry into force (1) this Act enters into force. subject to paragraph 2 on 1 July 1979.
(2) section 4 (4) enters into force on the day after the announcement.
Search Translated Laws of Germany