0.742.140.316.33 translation Convention between the federal Department of the environment, transport, energy and communication of the Swiss Confederation and the federal Ministry of transport, innovation and technology of the Republic of Austria on cooperation concerning the future development of the railroad concluded on 27 October 2003 entry into force on 1 December 2003 (State on January 18, 2005) the federal Department of the environment transport, energy and communications (DETEC) of the Swiss Confederation and the federal Ministry of transport, innovation and technology (BMVIT) of the Republic of Austria (hereinafter the ' contracting parties'), wishing to encourage and intensify for the benefit of both parties a long-term cooperation for the development of the railways, aware of the ecological and economic benefits of rail passenger and goods traffic Seizing opportunities that arise in the field of rail infrastructure, interoperability, as well as rail traffic, in application of art. 9 of the agreement of 22 July 1957 between the Swiss Confederation and the Republic of Austria concerning the financing of the development of the line of the Arlberg (Buchs - Salzburg), have agreed to the following: Section I areas of co-operation art. 1-1. The contracting parties plan to encourage and develop the passenger traffic and goods by rail between the Swiss Confederation and the Republic of Austria on the basis of a balanced and win-win cooperation for each part.
2. this cooperation will extend to the following areas: has) develop strategies for rail transport of passengers and goods between the two Etats.b) exchanging information on the coordination of programs of development of the infrastructure and railway traffic, especially for international links below: i) Geneva / Basel - Zurich - St. Gallen - St. Margrethen - Bregenz (- Lindau - Munich) - Salzburg - Vienna (-Budapest), and Geneva / Basel - Zurich - St. Gallen - St. Margrethen - Bregenz - Feldkirch - Innsbruck - Vienna (-Budapest) / Graz / Klagenfurt / (Ljubljana) ((((, ii) Geneva / Basel - Zurich - Sargans - Buchs SG - Feldkirch - Innsbruck - Vienna (-Budapest) / Graz / Klagenfurt / (Ljubljana), iii) Chur - Sargans - Buchs SG - St. Margrethen / Feldkirch - Bregenz (- Lindau - Ulm), iv) axis of the Brenner, v) axis of the Gotthard.
c) achieve of the infrastructural conditions for the future employment of the pendulum technique in international rail traffic between the States of the contracting parties on links railway appropriees.d) improve freight traffic international to increase the quality of transport, particularly by reducing the time of parcours.e) conduct joint studies on the modernization of the railway infrastructure and the development of offers of transport ferroviaire.f) exchanging information on organizational issues legal and technical, including issues which are related to the status of the railway in the transport system of the States of the contracting parties.
Art. 2-1. Within their powers, the contracting parties strive to cooperate in the future development of rail infrastructure, interoperability, of rolling and the principles of organization of rail traffic. This cooperation includes: a) modernization referred to rail connections on the lines: i) St. Gallen - St. Margrethen - Bregenz - Lochau (-Lindau), ii) Sargans - Buchs SG - iii) Sargans, Feldkirch - Buchs SG - St. Margrethen - St. Gallen, iv) Bregenz - Feldkirch - Bludenz.
(b) the development of operational rail traffic by measures that are needed to modernize and make compatible the technical facilities of the railway infrastructure and the exchange of information, as well as organizational and administrative measures.
2. in agreement with the valid legal prescriptions in their States, the contracting parties support the cooperation of rail companies on their national territories and assume that the details of this collaboration, including the various joint projects, agreed by the railway companies.
3. within the limits of their skills, the contracting parties are responsible for the funding of measures to realize on their territories, subject to national procedures concerning decisions on funding. In particularly justified cases, it is possible to consider, as an exception to the principle of territoriality, a co-financing extraterritorial of the infrastructure improvements located in the area close to the border if the two Contracting Parties agree on such an approach.
Section II objectives of the cross-border lines art. 3-1. National planning and the project objectives BODAN RAIL 2020 for the greater region of Lake Constance will be basics of planning for contracting parties. These last will work as part of their skills, so that the first parts of this project carried out by 2010.
2. priority is given to the development of the St. Gallen section - St. Margrethen - Bregenz to reduce to 30 minutes time determining, notably by reducing the duration of crossing the border to St. Margrethen to 1-2 minutes. The contracting parties also support efforts that rolling stock could move freely on the cross-border line in St. Gallen - St. Margrethen - Bregenz - Lindau / Wolfurt.
3. the rail link Feldkirch - Buchs SG must be explored in collaboration with the Principality of the Liechtenstein to coordinate the necessary measures and, if necessary, to resolve by special agreement.
Section III implementation of co-operation art. 4-1. The implementation of this agreement will be entrusted to a Committee of representatives from contracting parties and which will meet at least once a year. Depending on the needs, representatives of local authorities and the railway undertakings concerned will be available.
2. each Contracting Party may require the convening of the Steering Committee if it deems necessary. In this case, the Steering Committee shall meet within three months.
3. the Steering Committee following the implementation of the convention and developing an enforcement program. It presents proposals on the possible evolution of the objectives and measures that will be established, as appropriate, as a supplement to this agreement.
Section IV provisions final art. 5. all information and all the results of the work exchanged and processed under this agreement may be published only with the agreement of both contracting parties.
Art. 6-1. This agreement is effective the first day of the second month following the signature.
2. it is concluded for an indefinite period.
3. it can be terminated at any time in writing by a Contracting Party and, in this case, lapses six months after the day of receipt of the termination.
Done at Berne, on October 27, 2003, in two originals in the German language.
For the federal Department of the environment, transport, energy and communication of the Swiss Confederation: for the federal Ministry of transport, innovation and technology of the Republic of Austria: Moritz Leuenberger Hubert Gorbach RO 2005 169 the original text is published under the same number, in the German edition of this compendium.
RS 0.742.140.316.32 State 11. July 2006