Read the untranslated law here: http://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-2015-7853
The Royal Academy of moral and political sciences, created by Royal Decree on September 30, 1857, aims the cultivation of these Sciences, illustrating the issues of greatest importance, significance and application, according to the times and circumstances. It is currently governed by the statutes approved by Decree 314/1970, 29 January, which were modified by the Royal Decrees 1648 / 1990 of December 20, 1045 / 2003, of 1 August, and 749/2011 from 27 May.
Given the time elapsed since the adoption of these statutes, which has brought certain inadequacies and imbalances in relation to the functioning of the Academy, it is necessary your upgrade, which aims to address two types of different problems. On the one hand, are incorporated into the statutes aspects regulated so far in the internal regime regulations which, by its nature and importance, is considered more appropriate to give them statutory range. On the other hand, numerous changes and improvements are introduced as a result of the experience observed during the validity of earlier statutes, and the adaptation to the new institutional reality of Spain. Altogether, the changes made respond to an experience that has been the emergence of deficiencies that were overcome with this new version, clarifying at the same time the controversial aspects to achieve a text that will provide greater clarity and better operability to the day-to-day operations of the Royal Academy of moral and political sciences.
The first section of the second additional provision of the Royal Decree 1160 / 2010, 17 September, which regulates the Institute of Spain, establishes the following minimum content of the statutes of the Royal Academies of national scope: name, objectives and functions, organization, rights and duties of academics and economic means for its operation. On the other hand, the fifth section of this additional provision provides that amendments to the statutes of the national academies should be proposed by the Academy of which concerned and shall be approved by Royal Decree of the Government, on the proposal of the Ministry of education, culture and sport, following a report from the Institute of Spain.
These new statutes have been nominated by the Academy of moral and political sciences and have been favorably reported by the Institute of Spain.
By virtue, on the proposal of the Minister of education, culture and sport and prior deliberation of the Council of Ministers at its meeting of June 26, 2015, HAVE: single article. Approval of the statutes of the Royal Academy of moral and political sciences.
Approve the statutes of the Royal Academy of moral and political sciences, the text of which is included below.
Sole additional provision. Promotion of women.
1. in the internal rules of the Academy, including measures to promote a greater presence of women in the academic community and government bodies will be sought.
2. all them precepts of them statutes should be interpreted is in the sense of that the condition academic and them charges academic can be accompanied both by men as by women.
First transitional provision. Current charges of the Board of Directors.
Scholars and academics that the entry into force of this Royal Decree, part of the Board of Directors, will continue to play their positions until you finish the mandate for which they were elected. The renewal of the charges shall be in agreement with what have these new bylaws that are approved, as well as the regulation regime inside that develops it.
Second transitional provision. Current employees of the Academy.
Without prejudice to the provisions of article 44 of the statutes which are approved, are the rights that may arise from the respective origin or conditions of appointment of the current employees.
Sole repeal provision. Repeal legislation.
The statutes of the Royal Academy of moral and political sciences, approved by Decree 314/1970, 29 January, as well as the other rules of equal or lower rank which is contrary to the provisions of this Royal Decree are repealed.
Sole final provision. Entry into force.
This Royal Decree shall enter into force the day following its publication in the "Official Gazette".
Given in Madrid, the 26 of June of 2015.
The Minister of education, culture and sport, IÑIGO MÉNDEZ DE VIGO and MONTOJO ANNEX statutes of the Royal Academy of moral sciences and politics CHAPTER i. nature, purpose and composition of the Academy article 1. Nature of the Royal Academy of moral and political sciences.
The Royal Academy of moral and political sciences is a corporation under public law, with legal personality and capacity to act, national, integrated in the Institute of Spain and domiciled in the historic Casa de los Lujanes, plaza de la Villa, numbers 2 and 3, Madrid.
Article 2. Purposes and functions of the Academy.
1. the Royal Academy of moral and political sciences aims to the cultivation of these Sciences, illustrating the issues of greatest importance, significance and application, according to the times and circumstances.
2 it corresponds also to the Academy inquire of public interest, related to the purposes, which may be formulated by the ministerial departments and other public agencies.
3 you must not answer individual queries.
4 you can raise the Government initiatives related to the peculiar scientific competence of the Academy.
Article 3. Composition and symbols.
1 the Academy comprises: a) of forty-four academicians of Spanish nationality.
b) of supernumerary from academicians class.
(c) of fifty Spanish correspondents.
(d) of fees and foreign correspondents.
2. the Academy has the seal and shield its medals a midwife with the flame of intelligence and the symbolic attributes of the truth and this slogan: «Verum, Pulchrum, Justum».
Article 4. Duties of the academicians.
1 will be academicians with obligation to perform the work that entrusted you the Academy, attend meetings, vote on matters requiring it and contribute their efforts to the fulfilment of the purposes of the Academy.
2 when they do not attend the sessions, they must excuse themselves before the President, who will account to the plenary.
Article 5. Rights of academics.
1. for good cause or legitimate impediment, academics may excuse themselves fulfil the functions entrusted to the Academy.
2. everyone shall have the right to present and read the works and concerning issues that cultivates the Academy and that the same consideration and may include them in their publications.
Article 6. Supernumerary academic.
1.TODO academic of number may request of the Academy, causing vacancy, your pass to supernumerary academic class.
2 should pass to supernumerary, consequently causing vacancy, the academicians that give either of these two situations: to) not meet during two consecutive courses a minimum of thirty assists the Academy together, number which may be object of reduction, in view of this, when academics residing outside of the Villa de Madrid by reason of office.
(b) not having submitted, over two consecutive years, a theme of the moral and political sciences.
3 the precept contained in the previous issue shall not apply to academics in whom any of the following circumstances concur: a) having reached 75 years.
(b) having more than five hundred assists.
(c) take the positions of President, Vice President or Minister of the Government or President of either Chamber.
(d) hold diplomatic representation or temporarily to exercise official, academic or cultural activities abroad.
4. neither applies the rule contained in paragraph 2 of this article who, still being in the situation defined in it, they have suffered from a disease that has prevented to attend academic sessions or have another serious reason, which you must estimate the Academy allegedly.
5. at the beginning of the academic year will it be formalized, for knowledge of the House and subsequent publication, the relationship of assists and dissertations, and in odd-numbered years, shall be determined, by secret ballot, with the concurrence of two-thirds in first call and of the absolute majority of the academicians in second if the reason serious alleged exempt from the pass to the supernumerary situation.
6 Censor, ex officio, shall propose to the Academy, in a session of October of odd-numbered years, specific applications requiring the fulfilment of this article or, where appropriate, will manifest that does not mediate reasons for this.
Article 7. Reinstatement in the condition of Numerary.
1 five years after the pass of an academic to supernumerary situation, may this request reinstatement Numerario condition, with the right to fill the first vacancy that occurs.
2. the Academy, by a majority of two-thirds of its components, will agree that appropriate prior information of the attendances, works academic and other scientific order activities carried out by the applicant during the period that has remained as supernumerary.
3. the right to be reinstated in Numerarios class may not be exercised more than once.
Article 8. Corresponding academicians and fees.
1 corresponding academicians shall contribute to the purposes of the Academy, maintaining normal relationship with her and fulfilling orders that this gives them, and both they and the fees may submit their works and writings.
2. the corresponding academicians and fees be able to attend, with consent of the President, ordinary meetings of the Academy.
3. the academic supernumerary not require the consent presidential to attend to them together ordinary; may present in them their works, lecture on issues relating to the sciences Morales and political and intervene in them debates purely scientific, but not will have right of vote.
Article 9. Use of academic title and commissions of the Academy.
1 academics, with the obligation to indicate the class to which they belong, may use this title in the writings and works published and on the occasions that see fit to display it as a timbre that gives social and scientific range.
2. commissions and academics who have received any verbal or written, custom of the Academy will give account of serving it in the terms that guarantee them.
3. to the Academy shall be responsible for the final resolution of all their scientific, governmental and economic affairs.
CHAPTER II election of academic article 10. Eligible individuals.
The Academy will choose its members of all classes between them people that in them science that cultivated, is differentiated by their knowledge and that consider more worthy of belonging to she, in accordance with them standards contained in them articles following.
Article 11. Requirements to be academic of number.
Be academic number requires the following conditions: 1. be Spanish.
2. have reputation of exemplary public.
3. have is distinguished, with public notoriety, by their knowledge in the subjects own of the Academy.
Article 12. Publication of vacancies and nominations.
1 when occurs any vacancy of academic of number, it will be declared at the first ordinary general meeting that the Academy celebrate and within a maximum period of three months, will be in the knowledge of the Ministry of education, culture and sport, to be published in the «Official Gazette».
2 published the announcement, will be accepted proposals that proceedings, which shall be signed, precisely, by three academics from number and which must be accompanied by a written report from the concurrent relevant merits in the candidate, whose assent in case of being elected will respond proponents.
Article 13. Reports on the nominations.
1 after one month from the publication of the notice of vacancy will meet the corresponding section according to article 33 of these statutes, which will be expanded for this purpose, with two members from each of the other sections, designated by automatic order of rotation.
2. the section will have knowledge of them proposed that is have presented and of which during the meeting can present three academic and rise by written to the full of the Academy a report that accredits the correct formulation of all them proposed and them observations that consider appropriate. Issue such report will require attendance, at least five members of the section, and three in total, for the remaining.
3. at the next session of the plenary will realize the proposals and the report of the section. One of academics who have signed the presentation of the candidate, will expose to the plenary the merits which concur therein. If there is more than one candidate, will be the exhibition of his merits in the same House, ordering the interventions according to the order of submission of applications. It shall then declare open the voting period, during which no new proposal shall not be allowed. The same Board shall set the date of the session which shall proceed to the election.
Article 14. Votes.
1. the plenary session properly convened, will be validly constituted when they are present the half plus one of the academicians. It will proceed to the election, in which all scholars will take part in office who have attended 10 sessions held by the Academy in the twelve months prior to the vote, demand that will dispense only to the admitted during them. Which warrant not be able to attend may participate by letter on the first ballot, under the conditions stipulated in the rules of procedure.
2. to be elected academician in first vote, candidate shall obtain the vote of two-thirds of the tenured academic in office.
3 if in the first ballot no candidate elected, shall be at the same meeting a new vote and be elected to it to obtain the vote of two-thirds of those present academic.
4 If in the second ballot no candidate elected, shall be at the same meeting a third ballot, which is sufficient to obtain a candidate favorable votes of an absolute majority of those present academic, and if none obtains them, will again be the vacancy, in accordance with article 12.1 of these statutes.
Article 15. Reception of new academics.
1 academician-elect must necessarily present within the period of one year, counting from the day of the election and extended whatever the circumstances of residence, performance of charge, health or occupation which could be invoked, speech that is read at their reception on an important topic of the moral and political sciences.
2. If within such period has failed to address, shall be declared vacant square and will proceed to new election to cover. The Academician-elect which is found in this case, may, however, submit his speech at any later time, and carried out this formality shall have the right to enter the Academy occupying the first vacancy that occurs.
3. the President responsible reply speech to an academic of number, who shall present it in the also non-extendable period of three months. If elapsed that time not it has presented is prescindirá of such procedure that replaced the President by the phrases of welcome that have to well to pronounce to the give possession of your square to the Member elect.
4. the chosen for academic of number will take possession of your square in Board public, within the term maximum e extended of eighteen months to tell of the day of the election.
Article 16. Choice of academic fees and correspondents.
The choice of academic fees and corresponding is the responsibility of the plenary of the Numerarios by most of those who are in the exercise of the charge and previous proposal of three of them and report the relevant section and the table.
CHAPTER III article 17 academic posts. Board.
1. the Board of the Academy will be formed by persons who occupy the positions of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Censor, librarian, Treasurer and an academic of number elected annually.
2. no two academic positions may meet in one person.
Article 18. Choice of academic posts.
1. provision of the charges referred to in the preceding article corresponds to the academicians, only that can hold them.
2. the voting will be secret. Will be valid the vote by letter of them academic of number that justify not to attend, in the conditions that are regulate in the regulation internal. Those designated must obtain the vote of the most absolute of them academic of number.
Article 19. Duration of the mandate and re-election.
1. the charges that is refer them two articles earlier will have duration triennial and not may be held by a same person more than nine years followed.
2. the President, to be re-elected, will need to get them two thirds of the votes issued and not may play consecutively over two mandates triennial.
Article 20. Powers of the President.
1 the powers and duties of the President shall be: to) representing the Academy.
(b) ensure compliance with the statutes, regulations and agreements.
(c) distribute academic tasks.
(d) preside over the meetings of the Academy.
(e) indicate the days and times that there will be held, if necessary, extraordinary meetings.
(f) appoint the members of the sections and committees and preside over them, whenever it is convenient to attend them.
(g) designate the substitutes of the owners of the charges or the appointed to any committees, in cases of vacancy, illness or absence.
(h) enact measures, in urgent cases, on all the matters of the Academy, then realizing it.
2. the previous functions will be performed by the Vice-President in the event of vacancy, absence or illness of the President.
3. in case of death or resignation of the President, the Vice President will accidentally play the Presidency and President, will proceed immediately to the election again in accordance with the provisions of articles 18 and 19.
4. If the vacant will affect to another charge academic and is produced before the half of the year in that concluded a mandate triennial, is verify choice partial and the elected will play its charge until the end of said period. If occurs it vacant after the half of the year indicated, the President shall appoint to an academic of number until the end of the triennium.
Article 21. Powers of the Secretary.
1 the powers and duties of the Secretary shall be: to) inform the Academy of many issues concerning you.
(b) establish and authorize the correspondence.
(c) to extend and sign the documents of the Academy on many issues require it.
((d) draw up and certify the records, and e) direct editing of publications, except that the Academy designated person or Special Committee for this purpose.
2. will be Chief of the personal administrative and junior and executing of many Affairs, relating to the conservation of the building and works in it, agreed the Board of Government.
Article 22. Competencies of the Censor.
The powers and obligations of the Censor will be: to) ensure the observance of the statutes and agreements.
(b) remember the performance of commissions and jobs that are in charge of academics.
(c) inform the writings and matters that the Academy to submit to its consideration.
(d) intervene the accounts of Treasury; (and e) exercise the power that attributed to it by article 6.6 of these bylaws.
Article 23. Powers of the librarian.
The powers and duties of the librarian, will be: to) attend the acquisition, arrangement, cataloguing and conservation of books; and (b) provide to academicians with the works that ask, taking care that they are returned within the time limit and with the formalities that consigns the regulation.
Article 24. Responsibilities of the Treasurer.
The powers and duties of the Treasurer shall be: to) prepare and submit budget.
b) extend the tax proceedings of the quantities by any concept corresponding to the Academy; and (c) authorize the beltways and make payments, taking account and reason in the way that is established.
CHAPTER IV boards of the Academy section 1 internal seals of the academic article 25. Kinds of joints.
The plenum will hold ordinary and extraordinary internal meetings.
Article 26. Ordinary meetings.
1. ordinary meetings will be held on a fixed day of each week, dedicated to the current work of the Academy.
2. in the months of July, August and September, the Academy will suspend its sessions.
3. whenever necessary, the Academy will hold extraordinary meetings, which can only be convened by the President of the Academy on its own initiative or on the proposal of ten academic Numerary.
Article 27. Quorum and voting at election meetings.
1. for the boards of elections, except the special regime of the designations of academics referred to in the second chapter of these statutes, one it will quote expressly to the academicians that met the requirement of the following paragraph. In these together not is may resolve without the vote favorable of the most absolute of them members of the Academy, without prejudice of it willing in the article 19.2 for the election of President.
2. scholars who have not attended ten meetings, ordinary or extraordinary, at least during the immediately preceding year, will not have right to vote in elections of academics, academic posts and commissions requiring it, demand that will dispense only to the admitted during them.
Article 28. Presidency of the joints.
When not formed the Chairman or the Deputy Chairman, will preside over the Academy academic boards oldest that was present at the time of starting the session, excepted the Secretary and the Censor, who won't leave the performance of their duties.
Article 29. Kinds of votes.
1. the voting will be secret or public. Public voting will be ordinary or nominal.
2. the secret ballot will be used for the elections, when personal issues are discussed, or when five academic request it. They shall be depositing academics respective ballots in an urn. If in a secret ballot draw, it will be repeated on the Board immediately.
3. the ordinary consist of vote on lifting hand which pass, which fail and those who refrain. Just an academic claim it to be rated 4 in the vote. Roll call votes shall be carried out by Yes or no, by or by abstention, and so will ask Secretary academics, starting by the most modern and ending with the Secretary and the President.
5. in the voting public the President will have vote of quality to resolve draws.
6. the scrutiny and the summary of votes is will make, in all the cases, to the full, by the Secretary and the Censor, before the President, who announce the result.
7. in the votes nominal is footnoted in the Act the names of them academic that votaren affirmative or negatively and of which is refrain. In the votes secret is established the computation of them votes favorable, of them counter and the of them ballots in white, if them had. Is except the cases of elections of academic and of charges of the Academy in which not is expressed in them records the number of votes cast in pro or in against, but only the result.
8. all academic is entitled to request that his vote against most put on the record and submit written particular vote, when it has taken part in the discussion. The announcement of particular vote will be in the Act of voting and shall be presented in the instant Board, for your reading. Any of the scholars may accede to particular vote.
9. to academics who no longer attend a given meeting, it will not be allowed join the majority or a minority, as also formulated special votes.
Article 30. Abstention.
Any Board in case a personal matter of any of the academic audience, the applicant will be removed after you exposed your opinion.
Article 31. Communication of opinions.
Do not communicate the opinions without permission of the Academy.
Article 32. Order of the sessions.
The President will take care that the agenda and consideration due, are saved in the discussions halt them when it considers it necessary, and leaving the issue for another session that is designated.
Section 2 sections and committees meetings article 33. Sections.
1 for the distribution of the roles of the Academy and to intervene in the election of academics in the way which marks the thirteenth article of these bylaws, the Academy will be divided into four sections, which will have a permanent nature: to) philosophical Sciences;
b) political science and legal;
(c) social sciences; and (d) economics.
2. the number of scholars attached to each of the sections will be fixed by regulation.
Article 34. Commission of Government.
1. the Board of the Academy will act as internal government and Finance Committee.
2. they will be designated special, temporary, and permanent commissions according to the demands of the work.
Article 35. Temporary committees.
Temporary committees shall consist of the academic of number designated by the President.
Article 36. Presidency of the commissions.
Sections and committees will be chaired by the oldest academic, when not concurring the Chairman or the Deputy Chairman, and act on them by Secretary the most modern, which proceedings will be sent to the Secretary of the Academy.
Section 3 together public article 37. Kinds of together public.
(The Academy held together public: to) to give possession of their squares to the academic of number.
(b) when it agreed to the opening of the courses, the delivery of awards or on the occasion of any commemoration.
(c) in those other cases that it deems suitable.
Article 38. EU grants.
To them together public will be cited as of precise assistance all the academic of number. Is invited to them academic supernumerary, honorary and corresponding that is found in Madrid, to them of them others real academies and to them other people that the Academy deems suitable.
Article 39. Protocol.
When concur to them together public the King, the Queen, the Prince or the Princess of Asturias, the President or the Vice-Presidents of the Government or the Minister of the bouquet, them preside, occupying then the place preferential the President of the Academy.
Article 40. Interventions at public meetings.
At public meetings they may intervene only academics or people who have been expressly invited by the Academy.
CHAPTER V works and publications article 41. Intellectual property and publication.
1 speeches, memoirs or lectures, read or pronounced by scholars in any kind of gaskets of the Academy they will become the property of the respective author, but the Academy will have the right to publish them.
2 Nevertheless, opinions, studies, or any kind of work that have to be addressed by the Academy as such to the public or cultural organizations, or foreign or international entities will become the property of the Academy.
Article 42. Collections, periodicals, and other issues.
1. Collections shall be designated with the titles that the Academy agrees.
2. the Academy will, when it deems convenient, a periodical publication intended to give birth briefs or news of current interest to the Sciences of their Institute.
3. it own Academy may hire with them academic authors it Edition of others works different of them of the article 41 and in this case the works take, with its title, the expression of that is publishing by she.
4. the works awarded in the competitions shall be published separately and with this qualification. Of them, only the Edition academic will be property of the Academy.
Article 43. Responsibility, and use of the academic seal.
1 in the works that Academy authorized by or publish, each author will be responsible for their assertions and opinions; that it will be only of that those works deserve being printed.
2. the mention of the Royal Academy as the issuing body or the use of its seal in the publications of academics require the explicit authorization of the Academy, signed by the Censor.
CHAPTER VI Personal and funds of the Academy article 44. Employees.
The Academy will have employees who need and the right to appoint them and separate them, in accordance with the legislation in force.
Article 45. Resources economic.
The funds of the Academy will consist: 1. in them assignments and grants that is you grant by it administration public, in its case;
2. in donations, bequests or donations of any kind, from entities or individuals, once accepted by the Academy, and 3. on products and profits of their property.
Article 46. Administration of the academic volumes.
The volumes belonging to the Academy will be administered by the Commission of Government Interior and finance. The perception of the income and the payments shall be made by the Treasurer, with account and reason intervened by the Censor.
Article 47. Application of those resources.
The Academy apply its assets for own purposes it deems appropriate, and accordingly to the acquisition and conservation of books, printing works, the awarding of prizes and rewards for major works, to the payment of fees charges and assists academics, salaries of employees and costs of desktop, toilet, wrap and decorum.
Article 48. Accounting.
1. the Academy will yield accounts before the administrations public corresponding of them assignments and subsidies granted, in the form legally established.
2 you can establish your particular accounting with respect to the other funds system and have as suitable products and utilities from the works of his property.
CHAPTER VII regulation and modification of the statutes article 49. Regulations and schedule of tasks.
1. the Academy will form and approve its internal regulations and the schedule of their tasks.
2. the internal regime regulations will include the precepts needed to order in detail the activity of the Academy, within prescribed in these bylaws. It will be adopted by the plenary session of the Academy on the proposal of the Board of Directors.
Article 50. Modification of statutes.
1. proposals of modification of statutes must be approved by the full of the Academy to proposal of the table directive.
2. Once approved a proposal for amendment of statutes, shall be sent by the Presidency of the Academy to the Ministry of education, culture and sport, accompanied by an explanatory memorandum of the proposed amendment, for processing in accordance with paragraph 5 of the second additional provision of the Royal Decree 1160 / 2010, 17 September, which regulates the Institute of Spain.
Search Translated Laws of Spain