1 Party CDS-PP Parliamentary Group Parliamentary Assessment No. 63/X Decree-Law No. 3/2008, of 7 January, which "Sets the specialized support to provide pre-school education and basic and secondary education sectors public, private and cooperative" 1. It is the duty of the State to maintain a constant search for solutions to the full inclusion of education students with special educational needs.
2. Despite the limitations and failures of the system, the truth is that Portugal has achieved significant improvements in all the answers that students with special educational needs have at their disposal. We believe, however, that the arrangements provided for by Decree-Law No. 3/2008 of 17 January, comes put all of this in question being, meaning, under the cover of defending the value of the "inclusion", an unacceptable step backwards.
3. Under the arrangements laid down in Decree-Law No. 391/91, were many institutions, public and private, that have created appropriate responses to different types of special needs education.
4. The CDS-PP reiterates its respect and admiration for all those who, for years, worked on behalf of children and young people with special educational needs, created diverse responses and gave an opportunity for these students to enjoy a quality education.
2 5. The Decree-law whose Parliamentary Assessment now if requires, makes tabula rasa of a whole work that has been accomplished over the past few years, rejecting a knowledge and an experience with positive results. Moreover, this new regime puts an end to all this work, in particular, to Decree the end of special schools.
6. As a result of an order of the Secretary of State for education, dated 22 February 2007, at the beginning of the current school year, parents and teachers were not allowed to propose and send children to special education, being the current situation unacceptable.
7. Stand for what the school has to be inclusive, but we do not accept that, under this "cover" of inclusion, if get trampled rights of children and parents, in particular for the total loss of the right to choose the best solution for the special educational needs of the students. No we do not know the many limitations of the current system, and we recognize the need for an evolution in the responses of the educational system in this area. Only that this cannot lead to the collapse of an entire system that, despite its limitations, is known to be endowed with virtues that ensured a significant improvement of the overall capacity of our educational system's response to the students with special educational needs.
8. Simultaneously, in addition to the deep doubts that the new regime in awakens, and that, in General, has aroused throughout the educational community, we consider it necessary that the Government pay guarantees educational system's capacity to respond adequately to the new regime to be run. It is certainly not "by Decree" that schools will spend be prepared, from one moment to the next, to give competent and appropriate response to all the wide range of special educational needs presented by his students.
3 9. For the CDS-PP, given the importance, particularity and special sensitivity of the matter, the evolution of the system should be made with caution, as appropriate to your current response capacity in logistics and human resources. The advantage, both for students and for the system, the end of special schools is proven; Similarly, seem unfeasible legal solutions set as an alternative to its closure. This is about all the educational pathway of young which have special educational needs. The new regime has generated amazement with educators, families and experts in education.
10. We believe until the Government has opted for the worst of the solutions: an abrupt solution, not accompanied by any political and technical debate. Complies with the Assembly of the Republic, and change the law in question, with a view to their improvement.
In these terms, and under article 162, point (c)) and in article 169, both of the Constitution of the Portuguese Republic, and of the provisions of article 189 of the rules of procedure of the Assembly of the Republic, the undersigned, Members of the parliamentary group of the CDS-Partido Popular, come for the Parliamentary Consideration, with a view to its amendment of Decree-Law No. 3/2008 , 7 January, which "Sets the specialized support to provide pre-school education and basic and secondary education of the public, private and cooperative sectors".
Palácio de s. Bento, 30 January 2008 Members of the CDS-PP,