Read the untranslated law here: https://www.vestnesis.lv/ta/id/112658
Cabinet of Ministers Regulations No. 511 Riga, July 12, 2005 (pr. No 40 29 § genetically modified organisms) and the new food regulations issued by the Supervisory Board in accordance with Government equipment article 13 of the law on the general issue of i. 1. Genetically modified organisms and the new food monitoring Council (hereinafter Council) is the coordinating and advisory body established to review and assess with genetically modified organisms, including genetically modified food and feed, as well as new food-related submissions.
II. the Council functions, tasks and rights 2. Council function is to provide the Latvian food centre proposals on genetically modified organisms in contained use, deliberate release into the environment, market, as well as genetically modified food, feed and new food potential adverse effects on human and animal health and the environment prevention and reduction.
3. the Council shall have the following tasks: to provide 3.1 risk assessment and the corresponding findings related to genetically modified organisms in contained use, deliberate release into the environment and market, including genetically modified food and genetically modified animal feed, and the new food;
3.2. to look into the natural or legal person applications for authorisation of genetically modified organisms for limited use and market penetration, taking into account the opinions of experts, and to give the Latvian food centre proposals for authorising genetically modified organisms for limited use and market penetration;
3.3. to look into the natural or legal person applications for genetically modified organisms deliberate release into the environment and taking into account the opinions of the experts prepare to provide nature protection administration proposals for authorising genetically modified organisms deliberate release into the environment;
3.4. preparing the Latvian food centre proposals about the European food safety authority (EFSA) provided an opinion on the submissions received, including the competent authorities of the other Member States prepared for genetically modified food and feed risk assessment results of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 September 2003 Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 on genetically modified food and animal feed;
3.5. to examine the natural or legal person applications for new food distribution market and in the light of expert opinions, to give the Latvian food centre proposal for authorisation of new food distribution market;
3.6. to consider the other European Union Member States of the results of the evaluation of the institutions related to the authorisation of new food distribution market in accordance with the requirements set by the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 January 1997, Regulation (EC) No 258/97 concerning novel foods and novel food ingredients, and provide the Latvian food centre proposals on these evaluation results;
3.7. If the genetically modified organisms for limited use during the incident (any accident that involves a large quantity of GMOs accidental escapes out of control during their limited use and which immediately or after a period of time can cause hazard to human health or the environment): 3.7.1. provide methodological support;
3.7.2. methodically to coordinate the implementation of emergency plans;
3.7.3. to conduct an analysis of the accident and to make proposals to the authorities for the avoidance of similar accidents;
3.8. to make recommendations to the genetically modified organism and the new food control authorities adequate risk management measures, taking into account the developments in the field of biotechnology;
3.9. to submit to the Latvian food centre or in the management of nature conservation proposals for the withdrawal of the authorisation, the suspension of the permit or the conditions of distribution and use, if that approval is obtained from the genetically modified organisms or new food can harm human health or the environment.
4. the Council shall have the right to: 4.1 according to competence in external legal cases, to request and receive, free of charge from national and municipal authorities, legal persons, regardless of their subordination and the type of property, as well as from natural persons Council for information;
4.2. call in experts with appropriate education and experience professional advice and expertise on genetically modified organisms in contained use, deliberate release into the environment, market, as well as on the new food;
4.3. participation in expert working groups with problems associated with genetically modified organisms in contained use, distribution, environment and market.
III. composition of the Council and agenda 5. Council is composed of the following institutions are authorized representatives: 5.1. a representative of the Ministry of environment;
5.2. The National Ministry of agriculture plant protection service representative;
5.3. The Ministry of agriculture food and veterinary service representative;
5.4. two representatives of the Ministry of agriculture;
5.5. the Food Center representative;
5.6. the representative of the Ministry of the economy;
5.7. the two representatives of the Latvian Academy of science;
5.8. two of the University of Latvia, Faculty of biology;
5.9. the Ģenētiķ and breeder associations representative;
5.10. The Latvian organic synthesis Institute's representative;
5.11. the two University of Latvia, Institute of Microbiology and biotechnology;
5.12. The Latvian Agricultural University of food technology faculty representative.
6. the Council on these provisions of the personnel referred to in paragraph 5, the institution receiving the proposal approved by the Minister of health.
7. the Council shall, by a majority of the members of the Council elect a Chairman and Deputy Chairman of the Council for one year. The President of the Council and Deputy Chairman of the Council's repeated election or reelection happens after the discussion of the annual report of the Council during the current session, or exceptional but not later than within two weeks and not earlier than one month before the term of Office of elected persons. The Chairman is entitled without special authorisation to represent the Council in other institutions.
8. The Council shall be convened by the President of the Council, and at least once every quarter. Council extraordinary meeting shall be convened at the request of at least three members of the Governing Council or the Ministry of health, Ministry of the environment or the Ministry of Agriculture Secretary. The Governing Council shall be convened within three working days after receipt of the request for emergency meetings. During the meeting the members of the Council shall notify the Secretariat of the Council.
9. the activities of the Council the Council shall, on the basis of the Council's annual report, prepared by the Secretariat.
10. The secretariat of the Council issued Council escalated its members documents no later than three working days before the meeting.
11. The secretariat of the Council prepares the meetings of the Council of the draft agenda, and the President approves it, as well as chair the sitting.
IV. modalities of the Council 12. the Council is valid, if they are sitting on at least nine members of the Governing Council.
13. the Council decisions, the open vote, by a simple majority. If the number of votes the decision divides the casting is the President of the Council shall vote.
14. the Council meetings are open to the public, they are recorded in the Council Secretariat authorized representative. Recorded in the agenda, the meeting participants, people who have spoken about the matter, and the decisions taken. Protocol shall be made within three working days after the meeting, and shall be signed by the President and the Secretary of the meeting. Reports are publicly available on the Latvian food centre's website on the internet.
15. the President of the Council in the absence of his duties shall be the Deputy Chairman of the Council.
16. The Latvian food centre: 16.1. to fulfil the duties of the Secretariat of the Council and the Commission to ensure the work of the Council;
UR16.2.tam allocated budgetary funds within provides expert pay for inspection and rating opinion.
V. closing question 17. Be declared unenforceable in the Cabinet of 19 September 2000, the Regulation No 322 "genetically modified organisms and the new food regulations of the Supervisory Board" (Latvian journal, 2000,/333.nr.; 2002, 331 288. No; 2003, 596. no).
Prime Minister a. Halloween Health Minister g. Smith Editorial Note: rules shall enter into force on 16 July 2005.
Search Translated Laws of Latvia