Read the untranslated law here: https://www.vestnesis.lv/op/2016/31.1
The Saeima has adopted and promulgated the following laws of Valstsprezident: international and national sanctions of the Republic of Latvia Law article 1. The terms used in the law, the law is applied in the following terms: 2) international sanctions, in accordance with international law regarding the subject of sanctions imposed restrictions adopted by the United Nations or the European Union or other international organisation which is a Member State of Latvia, which is directly applicable in Latvia or introduced in this law; 2) national sanctions — according to the laws of Latvia and international law as regards the subject of sanctions imposed restrictions in accordance with the procedure laid down in this law, determined by the Cabinet of Ministers; 3 the competent institution — public) person by the institution according to its legislation a specific competence is responsible for international or national implementation of sanctions; the subject of sanctions — 4), international public law, natural or legal person, or other identifiable entity in respect of which certain international or national sanctions.
2. article. The purpose of the law the purpose of the law is to ensure peace, security and the rule of law according to Latvia's international obligations and national interests by introducing international sanctions or establishing national sanctions.
3. article. National sanctions by the Cabinet of Ministers, on its own initiative, as well as on the basis of the proposal of the Minister of Foreign Affairs or national Security Council recommendation can determine the national sanctions if it does not conflict with Latvia's international obligations arising from membership in international organizations of Latvia and if it is necessary to achieve one of the following objectives: 1) to bring peace or to prevent international crimes or human rights violations outside the territory of Latvia; 2 prevent damage to Latvia) ārpolitiskaj interests or national security; 3) fight against international terrorism, or weapons of mass destruction, manufacture, storage, transfer, use or dissemination; 4) prevent the transaction or condoning prompting the action against this article 1. — paragraph 3 objectives. 4. article. International and national types of sanctions can be introduced in Latvia or set the following international or national sanctions: 1) financial restrictions; 2) civil restrictions; 3 entry restrictions); 4) strategic trade and other restrictions on the movement of goods; 5) tourist services.
5. article. Financial restrictions If relevant to the subject definitely financial restrictions, the Latvian financial and capital market participants are obliged to do the following: 1) freeze all financial assets and financial instruments that are the subject of sanctions, owned, held or controlled; 2) deny the entity access to financial sanctions and financial instruments; 3) do not give the subject of international sanctions or penalties laid down in the national financial services.
6. article. Restrictions (1) Civil Penalties subject to certain restrictions, civil law it is prohibited to obtain and dispose of a corporeal and incorporeal things which will be recorded in public registers, strengthened or overriding the property rights or other rights in rem. (2) the public registers of the banned register, strengthen or public property or other property rights, which are restricted under the first paragraph of this article.
7. article. Entry limits Sanctions by the entity to which a specific entry restrictions are prohibited to enter and reside in Latvia or crossing in transit the territory of Latvia.
8. article. Strategic trade and other restrictions on the movement of goods, If relevant to the subject of specific arms embargoes or other goods for import, export, transit or brokering services, private or public entity is prohibited from sanctioning bodies to sell, supply, transfer, export or otherwise dispose of certain kinds of strategic goods or other statutory items or allow you to access them.
9. article. Tourist service limits the private entity is prohibited from providing services, which are directly linked to tourism activities in international or national sanctions in a certain territory or the subject of sanctions, for which a specific tourist service restrictions.
10. article. Exceptions in enforcing sanctions (1) If international or national sanctions provide for certain exceptions to the sanctions, the competent institution shall, at the request of the subject of sanctions may decide on such exceptions subject to the sanctions. (2) the competent authority shall take a decision on the application of sanctions in exceptional cases, on the basis of public security authorities or other authorities opinions. (3) international or national civil penalties imposed restrictions to the ownership or possession of the holder of the corporeal or incorporeal things are not an obstacle to the recovery going on in these things, the execution of court rulings and other bodies.
11. article. Enforcement, detection and enforcement (1) the European Union sanctions laid down in the regulations is binding and directly applicable in the Republic of Latvia. (2) the Cabinet of Ministers may issue rules for implementation of international sanctions if international sanctions are laid down, which is not directly applicable. (3) the Cabinet of Ministers may issue provisions on the national sanctions if any of this is found in article 3 of this law. The Cabinet of Ministers regulations set penalties are applied to specific subjects of sanctions by cabinet order which contains the subjects list of sanctions. (4) the cabinet shall determine the General sanctions order. (5) the cabinet shall determine the order in which the individual executable national sanctions pursuant to this law, article 3, paragraph 3.
12. article. With the discovery and enforcement of sanctions-related information (1) shall inform the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: 1) international organisations on the implementation of the sanctions imposed in Latvia, as well as for the exceptions that are applied by the competent institution in accordance with article 10 of this law; 2) Cabinet of international sanctions, amending and repealing the time limit; 3) on the competent institution of international and national sanctions, amendment or withdrawal of such sanctions and provide the required information; 4) sanctions on national subjects, the penalties laid down in regard to this subject, and about it. (2) the competent institution shall, on the request of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs shall inform the latter of the enforcement and monitoring. The competent institution shall be entitled to transfer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in his possession information on natural persons, where such information is relevant to the implementation of international sanctions and the need for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to fulfill its obligations to international organisations with regard to the penalties provided that it is applied in Latvia. (3) the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is coordinating authority in liaison with international organizations and foreign competent authorities on the implementation of the sanctions and the application of the exception.
13. article. (1) the competent authorities the competent authorities shall take all the necessary actions to ensure that international and national sanctions enforcement. (2) the citizenship and Migration Board as the competent institution is responsible for ensuring that the person in respect of which, in accordance with article 11 of this law, certain restrictions on the entry, to be included in the list of persons whose entry is prohibited in Latvia. (3) the Ministry of economy as the competent institution shall provide information and advise about this law, article 11 in accordance with the procedure laid down in the specific tour or service upon the entry into force of the restriction, or cancellation. (4) the financial and capital market Commission as competent body supervised by international or national penalties provided for in the provision of restrictions on financial and capital market participants. Financial and capital market Commission has power to accept the execution of penalties necessary decisions, including the financial and capital market participants binding decisions on the freezing of funds. (5) the district (City) Court in the land registry office as the competent authority carries out the international or national sanctions ban the strengthening property rights to immovable property or records a ban tag, which prevent any voluntary (except the inheritance get) the strengthening of law relevant to the subject's own real estate. (6) where, in respect of certain penalties penalties are amended or repealed, the competent institution in accordance with the laws and institutions of a certain competence make all limit amendment or repeal necessary steps.
14. article. International and national repeal of sanctions (1) the Minister of Foreign Affairs, on its own initiative or on the basis of the recommendation of the National Security Council, or by the application of sanctions subject evaluation can make a proposal to the international organization to cancel international sanctions, as far as they relate to the subject, if the subject is under the jurisdiction of the Republic of Latvia to the natural or legal person. (2) the Cabinet of Ministers, on its own initiative or on the basis of the proposal of the Minister of Foreign Affairs or national Security Council recommendations may decide on this law, the third paragraph of article 11, in accordance with the procedure laid down in the rules of the Cabinet and the Cabinet of Ministers issued an order modification or cancellation. The Cabinet of Ministers on a proposal from the bodies after sanctions may decide on article 11 of this law, in the third paragraph under the procedures laid down in the Cabinet of Ministers issued an order, in so far as it relates to the subject of sanctions, amendment or cancellation.
15. article. National penalties appeals and review (1) The Cabinet of Ministers regulations on national sanctions basic Cabinet issued an order, in so far as it relates to the subject of appealable administrative district court in accordance with the procedure prescribed by law. (2) the Cabinet of Ministers at least once a year, review the article 11 of this law, in the third paragraph, the order of the Cabinet of Ministers issued the rules and orders of the Cabinet with the subject of sanctions lists and, where necessary, amend or withdraw them, in whole or in part.
Transitional provisions with the entry into force of this Act invalidates the law on international implementation of the sanctions imposed on the Republic of Latvia (Latvian journal, 2006, 171 no). The law shall enter into force on March 1, 2016. The Parliament adopted the law of 4 February 2016. The President of the Parliament instead of the President i. Mūrniec Riga 2016 February 15.
Search Translated Laws of Latvia