Posted the: 2014-10-22 Numac: 2014015216 Foreign Affairs, external trade and development COOPERATION FEDERAL PUBLIC SERVICE June 29, 2014. -Law approving the agreement between the Kingdom of Belgium and the international monetary Fund on the establishment in Belgium of a liaison office of this organization, done at Brussels on 16 March 2004 (1) (2) PHILIPPE, King of the Belgians, has all, present and future, hi.
The Chambers have adopted and we endorse the following: Article 1. This Act regulates a matter referred to in article 77 of the Constitution.
S. 2. the agreement between the Kingdom of Belgium and the international monetary Fund on the establishment in Belgium of a liaison office of this organization, done at Brussels on 16 March 2004, will release its full and complete effect.
3. this Act has effect on March 16, 2004.
Promulgate this Act, order that it be under the seal of the State and published by le Moniteur.
Given in Brussels on June 29, 2014.
PHILIPPE by the King: the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs, D. REYNDERS the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior, Ms. J. MILQUET. the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Social Affairs and public health, Ms. L. ONKELINX. the Minister of Justice, Ms. A. TURTELBOOM. the Minister of Cooperation for development, p.. Lady the Minister of finance, K. GARG sealed with the seal of the State: the Minister of Justice, Ms. A. TURTELBOOM _ Note (1) Senate (www.senate.be): Documents: 5-2792 annals of the Senate: 2014-04-03 House of representatives (www.lachambre.be): Documents: complete record 53-3544: 2014-04-23 (2) entry into force: 29/09/2014.
AGREEMENT between the Kingdom of Belgium and the INTERNATIONAL Monetary Fund on the establishment in Belgium of a Office of binding of this organization Belgium, hereinafter referred to as "Belgium", and the INTERNATIONAL, hereinafter referred to as 'IMF', whereas Monetary Fund the IMF articles of agreement adopted in the monetary and financial conference at Bretton Woods United Nations on July 22, 1944, as well as changes to this status which have been approved by the Board of Governors and that are already entered into force, the latter being listed in resolution 45-3 June 28, 1990, and accepted by Belgium.
WHEREAS the Convention of the United Nations on privileges and immunities of the specialized agencies, adopted in New York on 21 November 1947 by the General Assembly of the United Nations during its second session, including its annex Ve to the IMF (hereinafter 'the Convention');
Desiring to set out the terms of an agreement concerning the operation on Belgian territory of the liaison office of the IMF (hereinafter 'the Office');
HAVE agreed as follows: Article 1 1. The Director of the Office enjoys the privileges and immunities granted to members of the diplomatic staff of diplomatic missions. The spouse and minor dependent children of the Director living in his household are granted the status recognized to the spouse and minor dependents of diplomatic personnel.
2. without prejudice to article VI section 19 of the Convention, the provisions of paragraph 1 shall not apply to Belgian nationals.
Article 2 1. All officials of the IMF eligible for exemption from all taxes on salaries, emoluments and allowances which they are paid by the IMF.
2. the provisions of § 1 of this article shall not apply to persons who are not in possession of a letter of commitment from the IMF, establishing that they are agents of the IMF with regard to the Organization's mission.
3. the exemptions of taxes referred to in § 1 of this article do not apply to pensions and annuities paid by the IMF in Belgium to its former staff members and the persons mentioned in § 2 or their designees.
Section 3(1). Without prejudice to the obligations arising for Belgium from the provisions of the treaties concerning the Union European and the application of the legal provisions or regulations, IMF officials shall have the right, during the period of twelve months following their first assumption of office in Belgium, to import or acquire, free of value added tax, chattels furniture and a car for their personal use.
2. the Minister of Finance of the Belgian Government set the limits and conditions for the application of this article.
3. the Belgium is not obliged to grant its own nationals or permanent residents the advantages referred to in § 1 of this article.
Article 4 in the case of use of vehicles in Belgium, the Office complies with the Belgian legislation y relative date, including insurance of civil responsibility and technical control, and maintains appropriate coverage.
Article 5 under Belgian and international legislation in this field, the Belgian Government facilitates entry into Belgium, the stay in its territory and the departure from the country of persons invited by the Office for official purposes.
Article 6 1. The Belgium and the IMF declare their common intention to their insured to guarantee a high level of social protection.
2. having regard to the equivalence of the benefits granted by the IMF and the Belgium as part of their social security schemes, IMF officials engaged in Belgium no other occupation-lucrative nature that required by their functions may opt either for the affiliation to the optional social security regimes applicable to all officials of the IMF as the rules of the schemes , for affiliation to the Belgian social security system.
3. concerning its function in Belgium officials who are affiliated with security schemes social "IMF", the IMF will respect the protections provided in the system of Belgian social security under international commitments of Belgium, as well as the basic principles of Belgian legislation on the protection of data relating to private life and medical ethics.
4 those incurred by the Office who are not in possession of a letter of commitment from the IMF, establishing that they are agents of the IMF with regard to the Organization's mission, will be affiliated to the Belgian social security system.
5. at the request of one of the Contracting Parties, detailed rules for the application of the principles set out in this section subject to consultation between the competent Belgian authority and the Bureau. In this framework the IMF will grant to the Belgium all the assistance necessary for appropriate reimbursement of the expenses incurred for assistance of a social nature that the Belgium would have to provide officials of the IMF who are affiliated to social security "IMF" schemes
Article 7 each Party shall notify to the other the completion of the procedures required for the entry into force of this agreement.
IN witness whereof, the Plenipotentiaries of the Parties have signed this agreement.
DONE at Brussels, 16 March 2004, in three originals in English, French and Dutch. The English text shall prevail in case of conflict of interpretation.