THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Ha Noi , November 29, 2005
On the 2006 tasks
THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF THE SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM
Pursuant to Article 84 of the 1992 Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, which was amended and supplemented under Resolution No. 51/2001/QH10 of December 25, 2001, of the Xth National Assembly, the 10th session;
Proceeding from the report of the Government, the reports of the National Assembly's agencies and concerned bodies, and from the opinions of National Assembly deputies,
The National Assembly basically agrees with the assessment of implementation of the 2005 tasks, the 2006 orientations and tasks with the objectives, targets and solutions mentioned in the report of the Government, the reports of the National Assembly's agencies and the concerned bodies; and at the same time lays stress on some following issues:
I. ASSESSMENT OF IMPLEMENTATION OF THE 2005 PLAN
In 2005, despite numerous difficulties at home and complicated developments overseas, with determination to continue implementing the renewal lines and with endevour to surmount all difficulties of the Party and the State, of all levels and branches from the central to grassroots levels, of the community of enterprises, of the entire army and population, almost all major targets set in the National Assembly's Resolution have been achieved or surpassed; the economic growth has achieved the highest rate in the past 5 years and relatively comprehensive progress has been made in socio-economic development; national defense and security have been stably maintained; our country's position on the international arena has continued to be heightened...
However, the quality of economic growth and the competitiveness of many products and many commodity lines remain low as compared to regional countries. The high rise in prices of many goods items has adversely affected production and people's life. The exports structure remains slow to improve, the trade deficit remains large. The waste, loss and corruption in the use of state financial resources have not yet been stopped effectively. Limitations are still seen in the management and use of land. The quality of medical services, culture, and education has failed to meet the requirements. The social order and discipline have not been strictly observed. Traffic accidents have occurred abundantly. The ecological environment has seriously deteriorated.
II. THE 2006 OBJECTIVES AND TARGETS
1. Overall objectives:
To quickly and sustainably develop economy. To create vigorous changes in the quality, efficiency and competitiveness of the economy. To closely combine economic growth with cultural and social development as well as environmental improvement; to attach importance to human development, to expand democracy. To take initiative in international economic integration.
2. Major targets:
- The gross domestic products (GDP) to rise 8%;
- The added value of agriculture, forestry and fishery to increase 3.8%; industry and construction to increase 10.2%; service sector, 8%;
- The total export turnover to rise 16.4%;
- The total development investment capital of the entire society to represent 38.6% of the GDP;
- The rate of consumer goods price index increase to be lower than the economic growth rate;
- To create jobs for around 1.6 million laborers, including 75,000 export laborers and specialists;
- To reduce the poor household rate to 20% (according to new poverty line);
- To reduce the rate of under-5 malnourished children to 24%;
- To reduce the birthrate by 0.04%;
- To complete the universalization of lower secondary education in 35 provinces. To increase the university and college enrollment by 10%; the professional secondary education by 15% and long-term job training enrollment by 13%;
- To raise the forest coverage to 38%;
- To supply clean water to 67% of the rural population and 75% of the urban population;
- To handle 40% of the seriously polluting establishments.
III. MAJOR TASKS
1. To devise and further improve legal provisions and policies in order to mobilize all resources in capital, labor, land, natural resources, science and technology for socio-economic development. To raise the growth quality; to strive to raise the GDP to over 8%. To bring to the fullest play the potentials of people-run economy, foreign investment sources; create a healthy competition environment and quickly get rid of monopoly and discrimination among economic sectors.
To revise for further supplementation and perfection the system of policies in support of development of agriculture and rural economy.
To apply measures to resolutely overcome the state of scatteredness, loss, waste and corruption in capital construction investment with the use of state capital, to handle outstanding debts in capital construction according to the National Assembly's resolutions. To increase resources for coordinated and efficient investment in the key economic zone of the Mekong river delta.
To reorganize, renew, equitize, develop and raise the operational efficiency of state enterprises according to the approved scheme; to direct and make timely preliminary review of the pilot establishment of strong economic groups.
To develop more strongly and more comprehensively markets of various types, particularly the real estate market, the financial market and the technology market; to expand domestic and overseas markets.
To actively implement the roadmap of international economic integration, stepping up negotiations on accession to the WTO.
To continue reforming the state finance and perfect the tax system according to the requirements of national development and international economic integration. To modernize the work of state budget revenue and expenditure management. To flexibly administer the exchange rates and interest rates, controlling inflation and stabilizing the macro economy. To increase the safety of the banking system and the credit quality, better satisfying the sustainable growth requirements; to diversify service activities and competitiveness of the banking system.
To renew the financial mechanism, the science and technology management mechanism. To boost the association of activities of scientific research and technological development with enterprises, with practical production and life; to apply and develop high technologies. To renew, re-arrange the organizational system, make intensive investment with a view to raising the potentials of scientific research and technological development institutions.
To step up the inspection, evaluation and handling of violations of regulations on environment. To severely handle polluting establishments. To strictly manage activities of exploiting and using natural resources.
2. To mobilize all resources and apply various coordinative measures and policies to reduce the number of poor households according to new poverty line; to focus on supporting regions with high rates of poor households; to work out appropriate solutions to help poor people rise from difficulties by themselves.
To renew mechanism and concentrate investment in communes meeting with extraordinary difficulties, to boost commodity production, raise the material and spiritual life of ethnic minority people. To increase supports in production land, residential land, dwelling houses and daily-life water for poor households of ethnic minority meeting with difficulties.
To step up the socialization of health activities; to ensure the uniform and full implementation of the policy on medical examination and treatment for under-six children and poor people. To apply active measures to further reduce the population growth rate. To concentrate on directing and prioritizing the use of resources for efficient prevention and fighting of avian flu and human influenza.
To basically settle problems regarding regimes and policies towards people with merits to the revolution. To fully comply with legal provisions on the elderly and the disabled. To apply mechanisms and policies to create jobs for peasants who shift to industrial production due to the recovery of their land for urban development; to settle burning issues for laborers who move to industrial zones and urban centers.
To apply resolute and coordinative measures to repel social evils, particularly the illegal drug trading and use.
3. To boost the socialization and attach importance to raising the quality of education and training. To consolidate the anti-illiteracy results; to universalize lower secondary education. To meet all conditions on the contingent of teachers, material foundations, teaching equipment, textbooks, ensuring the requirements of renewing the general education program. To strongly develop the system of job training at different levels. To speed up the realization of the program on solidification of schools and classrooms.
To shift most of public cultural service-providing establishments to operate under the financial mechanism applicable to public-service activities or enterprises. To increase the time volume and quality of radio and television broadcasting programs in general and those in ethnic minority languages in particular.
To implement the schemes on grassroots physical training and sports with a view to strongly and widely developing the movement for physical training among people. To attach importance to development of high-achievement sports.
To promote to the utmost the potentials of young generation in the cause of national construction and defense, in establishing their own positions in life and making a living.
4. To consolidate defense and security; to increase the capability to firmly defend national independence, sovereignty, unification and territorial integrity, to ensure political security as well as social order and safety. To raise the quality of training of the armed forces. To prevent assorted crimes; to curb traffic accidents.
To fruitfully implement the external policy of independence, sovereignty, multilateralization and diversification of international relations. To consolidate and perfect the relations already established with neighboring countries, regional countries and important partners. To step up activities on multilateral regional and world forums. To step up foreign service information and propagation and local external affair activities. To well prepare and organize international conferences hosted by our country.
5. To concentrate on properly and promptly settling complaints and denunciations about corruption, land, residential houses; complicated, urgent, prolonged cases and matters nearing the end of the time limit for protesting according to cassation procedures. To restrict mass and level-skipping petitions. To enhance inspection and supervision of settlement of complaints and denunciations.
6. To raise the quality of investigation, prosecution, adjudication and judgment execution; to prevent and combat law violations and complicated crimes; to clearly identify the responsibility for, and overcome the situation of breaching the procedural time limits, handling cases wrongly and unjustly.
To quantitatively and qualitatively consolidate the contingent of officials and employees in judiciary offices. To attach importance to political, ideological, moral and professional education and training for the contingent of officials and employees in judiciary offices.
7. To speed up the process of administrative reform; to promptly get rid of irrational administrative procedures; to consolidate and raise the efficiency of the state administration apparatus; to uphold public-duty disciplines and rules. To enhance examination and inspection in order to detect and severely handle officials and public servants who break laws and degenerate. To resolutely and efficiently implement legal provisions on thrift practice and waste combat, corruption prevention and fighting. To soon promulgate and implement the public-duty regime. To raise the morality, responsibility and service sense of state officials and employees, first of all the heads of agencies and units.
To raise the efficiency of implementation of the Regulations on democracy, reconciliation at the grassroots and the work of citizen reception. To further promote the role of people's supervision over activities of state bodies as well as officials and employees.
IV. IMPLEMENTATION ORGANIZATION
The Government shall direct and administer branches and levels in successfully achieving the 2006 objectives, targets and tasks; coordinate with the Supreme People's Court and the Supreme People's Procuracy in consolidating one step and raising the quality and efficiency of activities of judicial bodies.
The National Assembly Standing Committee, the Nationalities Council, the Committees of the National Assembly, the National Assembly deputies' delegations, National Assembly deputies, People's Councils and People's Council deputies at all levels shall supervise the implementation of this Resolution.
The Central Committee of Vietnam Fatherland Front, member organizations of the Front and other social organizations shall supervise and mobilize people of all strata to well implement the Resolution of the National Assembly.
The National Assembly calls upon the compatriots and combatants throughout the country as well as overseas Vietnamese to uphold the spirit of patriotic emulation, solidarity and mobilize all resources, overcome difficulties and strive to record achievements in welcome of the Xth National Party Congress, and successfully fulfill the 2006 tasks.
This Resolution was adopted on November 29, 2005, by the National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam at its 8th session.
Nguyen Van An