SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
Hà Nội , October 09, 2006
Promulgating the Government's Program of action for implementation of the Resolution of the Xth national Party Congress and the Resolution of the XIth National Assembly on the 2006-2010 five-year socio-economic development Plan
Pursuant to the December 25, 2001 Law on Organization of the Government;
Pursuant to the Resolution of the Xth National Congress of the Communist Party of Vietnam and Resolution No. 56/2006/QH11 of the XI National Assembly on the 2006-2010 five-year socio-economic development plan;
At the proposal of the Minister of Planning and Investment,
Article 1.- To promulgate together with this Resolution the Government's Program of Action in implementation of the Resolution of the Xth National Party Congress and the Resolution of the XIth National Assembly on the 2006-2010 five-year socio-economic development plan.
Article 2.- This Resolution takes effect 15 days after its publication in "CONG BAO".
Article 3.- Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies and presidents of People's Committees of provinces and centrally run cities shall implement this Resolution.
On behalf of the Government
NGUYEN TAN DUNG
GOVERNMENT'S PROGRAM OF ACTION FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF THE RESOLUTION OF THE Xth NATIONAL PARTY CONGRESS AND THE RESOLUTION OF THE XIth NATIONAL ASSEMBLY ON THE 2006-2010 FIVE-YEAR SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PLAN
(Promulgated together with the Government's Resolution No. 25/2006/NQ-CP of October 9, 2006)
The Xth National Congress of the Communist Party of Vietnam promulgated a resolution adopting the Report on orientations and tasks of socio-economic development in the 2006-2010 five-year period. At its 9th session, the XIth National Assembly promulgated Resolution No. 56/2006/QH11 dated June 29, 2006, adopting the Report on the 2006-2010 five-year socio-economic development plan in order to successfully materialize the 2010-2020 ten-year strategy and lay a foundation for our country to fundamentally become a modernized industrial country by 2020.
The Government promulgates this Program of Action for implementation of the Resolution of the Xth National Party Congress and the Resolution of the XIth National Assembly on the 2006-2010 five-year socio-economic development plan. The Program of Action covers the following contents:
I. Economic tasks
1. To speed up economic growth; to improve the efficiency, sustainability and competitiveness of the economy
a/ To make vigorous changes in agricultural production and rural economy and improve farmers' living standards
To implement in a coordinated manner solutions and policies to make substantial changes in agricultural production, forestry and aquaculture; to develop an agriculture of high productivity, quality and competitiveness.
To continue reviewing and adjusting the branch development plannings; to form and develop hi-tech production zones and concentrated material zones; to step up intensive cultivation of trees with competitive edge in association with development of processing and post-harvest preservation technologies.
To speed up application of science and technology to agricultural production, develop plant varieties and livestock and aquatic breeds of high yield and quality; to beef up activities in agricultural, forest and fishery extension; and to improve the capability of preventing and controlling natural disasters and plant and livestock epidemics.
To effectively implement programs on investment in the construction of socio-economic infrastructures in rural areas, including target programs, large projects and policies to support production development; to step up industrialization and modernization in agriculture and rural areas; to accelerate economic restructuring in agriculture and rural areas, with priority given to products with high marketability and economic benefits.
To implement policies to support sustainable development of traditional trades and crafts, trade villages, and clusters of rural trade and craft establishments and services directly related to production activities and life of farmers and closely associated with environmental protection.
To attach importance to and promote staff training and vocational training, especially in deep-lying, remote and ethnic minority areas, thereby creating more jobs, increasing income and improving the material and spiritual life for farmers.
b/ To increase growth rates and improve the quality and competitiveness of industries
To concentrate resources on developing industries with competitive edge, which turn out goods for export and are labor intensive; at the same time, to implement in a coordinated manner mechanisms and policies to increase the technological content, added value and competitiveness of industrial products; to prioritize, encourage and support investment in infrastructure facilities in service of production, especially in big provinces and cities, industrial parks, export processing zones and economic zones.
To study and promulgate mechanisms and policies appropriate to the domestic conditions and conformable to international regulations and commitments to encourage investment in the development of industries that produce important materials, high technology and information technology; to build infrastructure facilities in service of the process of industrialization and modernization; meanwhile, to attach importance to developing traditional crafts and trades which turn out products to meet the requirements of life, society and production.
To expeditiously review, amend and supplement plannings on development of branches, industrial products, economic zones, industrial parks, export processing zones and material zones; to encourage enterprises of all economic sectors at home and abroad to invest in the industrial domain.
c/ To make an extraordinary step of development in services
To robustly develop services, with priority given to services with great potential and high competitiveness; at the same time, to further expand, and improve the quality of, traditional services such as transport, trading, tourism, banking, post and telecommunications; to attach importance to expanding new services, particularly high-quality services, services with high intellectual content and business support services.
To develop and properly implement mechanisms and policies to create a favorable environment for enterprises of all economic sectors to invest in services; to prioritize state budget capital for investment in the development of technical and physical foundations with a view to improving social welfare for the entire society and ensuring basic social services, first of all health and education services, for the poor, poor areas and social policy beneficiaries.
To fundamentally renew the mechanism of management and the mode of provision of public services; to pursue the policy on socialization of public services, first of all, health, education, training, cultural, scientific and technological, physical training and sport services, according to the set roadmap in the direction of autonomy and accountability.
d/ To concentrate resources on developing regional economy and marine economy
To mobilize and concentrate resources on developing key economic regions, big economic, trade and financial hubs in the whole country, and economic corridors and belts; at the same time to create conditions for faster development in geographical areas with difficult economic conditions, especially border areas, islands, the Central Highlands, the southwestern region and the northwestern region, step by step narrowing the gap in development levels and living standards between various regions across the country.
To formulate and implement a strategy on comprehensive marine economic development with focuses and key areas; to promulgate plans, mechanisms and policies to effect vigorous effective development for coastal economic zones.
To expeditiously screen, amend, supplement and perfect regional plannings in order to properly achieve the socio-economic development objectives set in the resolutions of the Political Bureau and the Government; to develop policies, programs and plans on mobilization and efficient use of investment capital of all economic sectors in order to bring into play the potential and comparative advantages of various regions and improve socio-economic benefits in association with environmental protection.
e/ To mobilize and efficiently use resources for fast and sustainable economic development
To continue mobilizing and efficiently using resources for development investment; to resolutely abolish the ask-give mechanism, overcome the problems of thinned-out investment, loss, waste and low quality in capital construction investment; to change mechanisms and policies in order to improve the operational effectiveness of project management units; to organize the proper execution of important projects and works and national target programs.
To follow stable macro-economic policies, especially fiscal, monetary, payment balance and inflation ones, in order to reduce risks for investment and business activities, gain and consolidate the trust of domestic and foreign investors.
To effectively enforce the investment, enterprise, commercial, bidding and construction laws; to further perfect and implement land, taxation, monetary and credit policies to ensure equality and non-discrimination among investors of all economic sectors and conformity with the local conditions and international commitments.
To concentrate on amending, supplementing and perfecting mechanisms and policies on state management of investment, especially investment with state capital, and mechanisms and policies on project consultancy, supervision and management toward greater transparency and participation and clear assignment of powers and responsibilities; at the same time, to enhance inspection, examination and supervision work; to determinedly put an end to ineffective and unplanned investment, loss, waste and corruption in investment with state capital.
2. To proactively carry out and make a turning point in international economic integration; to raise the effectiveness of external economic activities
To proactively and actively carry out deeper and fuller regional and international economic integration. To properly prepare conditions for the effective realization of commitments after Vietnam joins the World Trade Organization, especially investment, trade and service commitments; to vigorously step up propaganda about and dissemination of information on international economic integration; to organize the publicization among all levels, branches, enterprises and the population of all contents of WTO accession commitments, other multilateral and bilateral agreements to which Vietnam has acceded, especially commitments on the roadmaps for opening the markets, reducing import duties, cutting down and abolishing the State's direct supports for domestic enterprises.
To expeditiously commence schemes on research into positive and negative impacts on each specific branch, domain and product exerted by the process of realization of international commitments in general and WTO accession commitments in particular; at the same time, to propose appropriate policies and measures to protect domestic industries and services in accordance with the domestic conditions and international commitments.
To formulate, and organize the implementation of, programs of action in realization of WTO accession commitments of the Government in general and of ministries and branches in particular; to attach importance to keeping to the import duty reduction roadmap, applying and responding to non-tariff measures, and opening the domestic investment markets in sensitive domains.
To vigorously step up export and improve the quality of exports; to control and reduce import surpluses; to quickly raise the export share of processed products of high added value, technological content and competitiveness.
To diversify the export markets; to attach importance to expanding and developing new markets with great potential such as the US and EU markets; at the same time, to continue consolidating and expanding traditional markets. To assist domestic enterprises in raising their competitiveness through investment and trade promotion, market development, brand building and protection.
To properly implement the strategy on borrowing and repayment of foreign loans; to amend, supplement and perfect the mechanisms of management and use of foreign loans toward clear assignment of powers and responsibilities, higher effectiveness and efficiency in management and use of loans, and guarantee of the debt payment capability; to expeditiously approve and properly implement the scheme on orientations for attraction and use of official development assistance (ODA) sources.
To further study and perfect investment mechanisms and policies toward uniform application to and non-discrimination among domestic investors of all economic sectors and between domestic and foreign investors, attaching importance to land, tax, charge and fee policies and the minimum wage level; to encourage and better manage offshore investment activities of Vietnamese enterprises.
3. To create a favorable environment for business development
To further ensure a stable macro economic environment, create favorable conditions for enterprises of all economic sectors to operate and develop under the market mechanism; to support for a definite period enterprises in their production and business activities and provision of essential products in geographical areas with difficult socio-economic conditions; to reduce to the utmost the number of domains under state business monopoly; and to abolish business privileges of enterprises. To limit the establishment of new state enterprises; to establish new state enterprises only when all conditions are met and only in the domain of production and supply of essential products and services for socio-economic development. State enterprises shall be set up mainly in the form of joint-stock companies.
To continue implementing the schemes on rearrangement and development of state enterprises; to concentrate efforts on accelerating and expanding the equitization of state enterprises, including economic groups and big corporations, ensuring the controlling role of state ownership; at the same time, to expand other forms of ownership conversion in order to improve the efficiency and competitiveness of state enterprises. To complete the transformation of all companies in which the State needs to own 100% capital into one-member limited liability companies or joint-stock companies within 4 years counting from July 1, 2006. To found and develop a number of big economic groups and corporations with a view to raising the competitiveness of the whole economy in the process of opening the markets and integrating into the global economy in accordance with the domestic conditions and international commitments.
To draft and perfect legal documents on financial management, building a necessary legal setting for economic groups to raise their competitiveness and operate in the socialist-oriented market mechanism in conformity with international commitments.
To study, amend and supplement the Cooperative Law in order to create a complete and favorable legal environment for the formation and development of cooperatives. To promulgate and implement policies to support the development of all economic types of cooperatives toward multi-ownership.
To build a favorable investment and business environment; to uniformly implement and apply regulations on enterprises' interests and obligations in investment and business activities to ensure equality; to implement policies to encourage and support small- and medium-sized enterprises, especially policies on investment promotion, trade promotion and technology transfer.
To actively simplify administrative procedures; to put an end to the criminalization of the handling of economic violations.
II. Science and technology, culture and society
1. To develop and raise the effectiveness of scientific and technological activities
To robustly and synchronously implement various measures to make a substantial change in technological and scientific activities; to incrementally increase the ratio of contribution of science and technology to the growth of each branch, domain or product.
To renew the management mechanism in the direction of accelerating socialization of scientific and technological activities; to promote association of science and technology with education and training, research and teaching with production and business. To raise the sense of observance and the effect of legal documents on the protection of intellectual property rights and other lawful rights of organizations and individuals in scientific and technological activities.
To vigorously step up study and effective application of scientific and technological achievements, especially in the hi-tech domain such as information and communication technology, bio-technology, material technology, automation technology, energy technology, and technology of preservation and processing of agricultural products and foodstuffs.
To promote basic research in natural sciences, social sciences and humanities and management science so as to furnish scientific grounds for the formulation of socio-economic development strategies and plans, contributing to accelerating national industrialization and modernization and creating a precondition for the materialization of the guideline on development of a knowledge economy.
To encourage and support enterprises, first of all, economic groups and big corporations, to invest in research and development activities in order to enhance their capacity in technology transfer and incrementally invent technologies by themselves.
2. To create substantial steps of development in education and training
On the basis of reviewing education and training work in the past time, to develop mechanisms, policies and solutions to comprehensively renew the teaching and learning contents, programs and methods, to develop in a rational manner the training scope and structure, improve the quality of teachers as well as physical foundations of schools, resolutely prevent and drive back negative phenomena in education and training.
To vigorously step up socialization of education and training. To urgently amend, supplement and perfect the school fee regime while renewing the financial mechanism applicable to education and training. To attach importance to implementing policies that prioritize education and training in deep-lying, remote and ethnic minority areas and areas with difficult socio-economic conditions; to implement policies on exemption from and reduction of school fees for and grant of scholarships to poor students, social-policy beneficiaries and excellent students. To properly implement the national strategy on development of human resources till 2020.
To continue implementing the program on building solid schools and classrooms according to planning in association with construction and standardization of physical and technical foundations of schools and classrooms; to attach importance to investing in and constructing a number of national and international-level universities and key vocational training schools.
3. To improve the quality of protection and care of people's health
To perfect the plannings on development of the medical system nationwide, covering preventive medicine system, the network of central hospitals and medical centers in regions, provinces, districts and communes; on this basis, to develop programs and plans on mobilization of resources for the construction and upgrading of medical establishments in order to improve the quality of medical examination and treatment and people's health care and increase the physical strength and stature of the Vietnamese people.
To renew the mechanism of management of public hospitals along the line of increasing their autonomy and accountability, especially in finance; to expeditiously complete plannings and prepare specific conditions to encourage domestic and foreign investors of all economic sectors to invest in constructing medical establishments; to encourage and support investment in deep-lying, remote and ethnic minority areas and areas with difficult socio-economic conditions.
To vigorously develop the pharmaceutical industry, increase the competitiveness of the domestic medicine manufacture industry; at the same time to consolidate the medicine supply network according to planning, ensure control of the market of preventive and curative medicines.
4. To create jobs, increase income and alleviate poverty
To effectively implement the national target program on employment so as to create many jobs, increase productivity and generate income for laborers.
To encourage laborers to be self-employed; to discover and multiply effective job creation models; to support small- and medium-sized enterprises, especially labor-intensive ones. To expand labor markets and improve the quality of labor export activities; to fundamentally renew vocational training for laborers before going to work abroad; to closely manage Vietnamese laborers working abroad and strictly implement the law on protection of their legitimate interests.
To concentrate efforts on properly implementing the national target program on poverty alleviation, program 135 and other target programs; to attach importance to investing in infrastructure facilities in support of production in deep-lying, remote and ethnic minority areas; to properly implement vocational training and job creation programs, especially in cities, populous areas and areas where a strong shift from agricultural to industrial jobs is taking place; to encourage the people to get rich in a lawful way; and at the same time, to strongly develop social welfare activities.
To continue perfecting necessary mechanisms and policies to support and improve the material and spiritual life of laborers. especially those working in industrial parks.
5. To develop cultural, information, physical training and sport activities in connection with materializing the policy on socialization of these activities; to properly implement policies on gender equity, child and youth care and protection and religion, and apply measures to prevent, fight and remedy social evils, traffic accidents and ensure security, social order and safety.
III. Environmental protection and sustainable development
1. To properly enforce the Law on Environmental Protection and Agenda 21 (Millennium Declaration); to encourage, discover and multiply typical models of sustainable development; to incorporate the task of environmental protection into the socio-economic development plan. To adopt appropriate policies and measures to closely manage and control waste, especially hazardous waste; to encourage investment in the domain of environmental protection, collect, treat and recycle waste for use in order to better protect the environment and water sources.
To strictly enforce laws and sanctions against acts that cause environmental pollution, particularly those committed by enterprises producing or using chemicals, in industrial parks, cities, densely populated areas and trade villages.
2. To carry out wide propaganda and dissemination of information among branches, levels, enterprises and the whole society about the adverse environmental pollution impacts of destruction of natural resources and the living environment, thereby increasing public awareness about environmental protection and sustainable development.
3. To develop, amend and supplement mechanisms, policies and solutions to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of state management of environment at all levels; to effectively apply economic tools to environment management; to disseminate the provisions of law on environmental protection charges so as to promote the public sense of observance of those provisions.
IV. Institutions of the socialist-oriented market economy
1. To further study and perfect institutions of the socialist-oriented market economy, concentrating on clarifying important issues in both theory and practice so as to institutionalize them into law.
2. To promulgate mechanisms and policies to ensure the coordinated development of markets of goods, services, real estate, science, technology, labor, finance and money.
3. To renew and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of socio-economic development plannings and plans. To draft and submit to the National Assembly for passage a law on planning of socio-economic development; to conduct supervision and evaluation on the basis of the results of implementation of socio-economic development plans, ensuring the proper achievement of set socio-economic development objectives and orientations. To enhance state management through examining and supervising the implementation of plannings and plans, especially mandatory ones.
4. To prepare for the formulation of the ten-year (2011-2020) socio-economic development and the five-year (2011-2015) socio-economic development plan.
V. Defense and security
1. To enhance defense and security potential so as to proactively and properly respond to all circumstances that may occur; to firmly defend independence, sovereignty, territorial unity and integrity; to preserve national security, political stability, social order and safety.
2. To formulate programs, schemes and plans to properly implement the fatherland defense strategy, the national security strategy and the national target program on prevention and combat of crimes in the new situation.
3. To arrange the defense and security posture suitable to the new situation in close combination with socio-economic development on the basis of efficiently tapping the country's potential. To continue reorganizing, and raising the capacity of, the defense industry. To properly implement the planning on building and development of the defense industry till 2010, with a vision toward 2020. To formulate and implement a 2006-2010 five-year plan on development of the defense industry.
VI. Prevention and combat of corruption, practice of thrift and combat of waste
1. To expeditiously formulate and perfect the legal system on prevention and combat of corruption; to enforce in a coordinated manner the Anti-Corruption Law and the Law on Thrift Practice and Waste Combat; to amend, supplement and perfect the Law on Complaints and Denunciations.
2. To organize the effective operation of the Central Anti-Corruption Steering Committee and anti-corruption bodies in a number of ministries and branches in accordance with the Anti-Corruption Law. All levels and branches shall strictly implement the program of action to fight corruption and the program of action on to practice thrift and combat waste, especially in the domains of land, capital construction investment, state budget revenue and expenditure, public finance management, personnel promotion and arrangement.
3. To resolutely follow the guideline on decentralization in association with clarifying the powers and responsibilities of each level, branch and unit, especially those of heads of agencies.
4. To concentrate on directing and resolutely and thoroughly handling the uncovered cases of corruption in accordance with law and publicize the handling results among the population.
5. To increase supervision by National Assembly agencies, the Fatherland Front, People's Councils and social organizations of the corruption prevention and fight, thrift practice and waste combat.
6. To properly implement the regulations on grassroots democracy, ensure publicity and transparency of economic and financial activities in administrative agencies and public non-business units.
VII. Administrative reform
1. To continue with comprehensive and effective implementation of the 2001-2010 master plan on state administrative reform. To robustly renew the method and process of drafting and promulgating legal documents.
2. To renew the functions, tasks and methods of state management, especially executive and judicial functions, with a view to increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of state management. To reorganize and rearrange the apparatus of the Government and local administrations at all levels toward fewer agencies and higher quality; to set up ministries and state management agencies each in charge of multiple branches.
3. To promote personnel training and standardization so as to improve the quality of cadres and civil servants in state management agencies at all levels, ensuring that they have necessary skills and capability for fulfilling their assigned tasks. To continue implementing the program on renovation of salaries of cadres, civil servants, pensioners and other persons covered by social insurance.
4. To modernize the national administration to meet the state management requirements in the integration process; to properly implement the e-government program in association with renewing the management method of the administrative system in line with the process of application of information technology to state management; to properly implement the one-stamp and one-stop-shop mechanism; to apply ISO 9000 standard to administrative management and public finance management.
5. To strictly adhere to the principle of publicity and transparency in activities of state management agencies at all levels; to widely disseminate and publicly post up regulations on processes of handling affairs for the people and enterprises to know.
6. To formulate and promulgate examination, inspection and supervision mechanisms to enhance administrative discipline among state cadres and employees; to raise the morality, responsibility and sense of service of the people for state cadres and employees, first of all heads of agencies and units. To properly implement the regulations on grassroots democracy; to promote the supervisory role of the people and the Fatherland Front regarding activities of state agencies, cadres and employees.
ORGANIZATION OF IMPLEMENTATION
1. On the basis of the major tasks and contents of this Program of Action and their assigned functions and tasks, ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies and presidents of People's Committees of provinces and centrally run cities shall personally direct the formulation of the programs of action of their ministries, branches and localities in the 2006-2010 five-year plans and translate them into the tasks of annual plans. To formulate, review, amend and supplement plannings, policies, programs, schemes and legal documents as assigned by the Government and the Prime Minister. Those tasks which are not required to be performed under the above schemes and programs should be promptly performed to meet in time the economic and social development requirements of branches and localities.
2. Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies and presidents of People's Committees of provinces and centrally run cities shall focus on directing, supervising and urging the implementation of this program of action; send annual reports thereon to the Prime Minister and to the Ministry of Planning and Investment for sum-up and reporting to the Prime Minister.
3. In the course of implementation of this Resolution, if finding it necessary to amend and supplement any specific contents of the program of action, ministries, branches and localities shall coordinate with the Ministry of Planning and Investment in reporting to
the Prime Minister for consideration and decision.
Nguyen Tan Dung