WEST VIRGINIA CODE
WVC 5 C- 2 - 1
§5C-2-1. Legislative findings.
(a) The Legislature finds that:
(1) Coal is an important fuel source for keeping the household
energy costs low in the state of West Virginia;
(2) Continued protection of the state's environment, public
health and welfare requires that new emissions reduction
technologies that protect and improve air quality be evaluated for
their environmental effectiveness and economic viability;
(3) The diversity of fuel used to generate electricity is a
significant factor in providing reliable and economical energy to
the citizens of the state of West Virginia;
(4) The price of electricity generated with coal has remained
relatively unchanged over the past twenty years;
(5) The continued recovery and utilization of coal resources
are important to the state's economy;
(6) Advancements in clean coal technology clearly demonstrate
that electricity from coal can be produced in a more efficient,
economical and environmentally friendly manner; and
(7) Advancements in alternative coal usage has produced useful
household, commercial and industrial technologies.
(b) The Legislature determines that, consistent with the
protection of the public health and welfare, the protection of air
quality, the protection of the environment, the operation of
existing industries, the enhancement of the long-term economic
health and the improved reliability of electric generation in the state, it is a goal of this state's energy policy that technologies
be explored to increase the efficiencies and decrease the emissions
from electricity generated by coal.
(c) It is the policy of this state that clean coal
technologies and alternative coal uses will be explored in order
(1) Preserve fuel diversity and maintain reliable, low-cost
sources of electric power;
(2) Identify technologies for reducing the emissions from
existing coal-fired electric generation; and
(3) Identify new, cleaner coal-fired electric generation
technologies that may be used to provide new generating capacity.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.