State Affairs and Government
Notaries Public and Justices of the Peace
§ 42-30-13 Fees of notaries.
The fees of notaries public shall be as follows:
(1) For noting a marine protest, one dollar ($1.00);
(2) For drawing and extending a marine protest and recording
it, one dollar and fifty cents ($1.50);
(3) For taking affidavits, twenty-five cents (25¢);
(4) For travel, per mile, ten cents (10¢);
(5) For taking acknowledgment of any instrument and affixing
his seal, one dollar ($1.00);
(6) For the protest of a bill of exchange, order or draft,
for non-acceptance or nonpayment, or of a promissory note or check for
nonpayment, if the amount thereof is five hundred dollars ($500) or more, one
dollar ($1.00), if it is less than five hundred dollars ($500), for recording
the same, fifty cents (50¢);
(7) For noting the non-acceptance or nonpayment of a bill of
exchange, order or draft, or the nonpayment of a promissory note or check,
seventy-five cents (75¢); and
(8) For each notice of the non-acceptance or nonpayment of a
bill, order, draft, check, or note, given to a party liable for the payment
thereof, twenty-five cents (25¢);
provided, that the whole cost of protest, including necessary
notices and the record, shall not exceed two dollars ($2.00), and the whole
cost of noting, including notices, shall in no case exceed one dollar and
twenty-five cents ($1.25).
History of Section.
(G.L. 1896, ch. 295, § 18; P.L. 1899, ch. 625, § 1; G.L. 1909, ch.
364, § 17; G.L. 1923, ch. 417, § 17; G.L. 1938, ch. 633, § 18;
G.L. 1956, § 42-30-13; P.L. 1980, ch. 324, § 1.)