SECTION .3400 - COASTAL RECREATIONAL WATERS MONITORING,
EVALUATION, AND NOTIFICATION
15A NCAC 18A .3401 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions shall apply throughout Section 18A
.3400 of this Subchapter:
(1) "Enterococcus" means a gram positive
coccoid-shaped bacteria that is found in the intestinal tracts of warm-blooded
animals that include Enterococcus faecalis, Enterococcus faecium,
Enterococcus avium, and Enterococcus gallinarium.
(2) "Geometric mean" means the mean of
"n" positive numbers obtained by taking the "n"th
root of the product of the numbers with at least five samples collected within
a 30 day period.
(3) "Point source discharge'" means the
discharge of liquids through a pipe, drain, ditch or other conveyance into a
(4) "Primary contact" means an activity in
water in which a person's head is partially or completely submerged.
(5) "Storm water discharge" means any natural
or manmade conveyance of rainwater or the resultant runoff into recreational waters.
(6) "Swimming advisory" means a notification to
the public that recommends no primary contact with the water in a specific area
for public health reasons but does not close a swimming area to the public. A
swimming advisory shall include a sign posted at the site of the advisory and a
press release to notify the public of the risks of swimming in the area.
(7) "Swimming alert" means a notification to
the public by media contact including a press release to warn the public of
risks of swimming in an area that exceeds bacteriological swimming area levels.
(8) "Swimming area" means a coastal
recreation area that is used for primary contact located within waters
classified by the Division of Water Quality as SA, SB, or SC.
(9) "Swimming season" means from April 1
through October 31 of each year.
(10) "Tier I swimming area"
means a swimming area used daily during the swimming season, including any
public access swimming area and any other swimming area where people use the
water for primary contact, including all oceanfront beaches.
(11) "Tier II swimming area" means a swimming area
used an average of three days a week during the swimming season.
(12) "Tier III swimming area" means a swimming area
used an average of four days a month during the swimming season.
(13) "Winter season" means from November 1
through March 31 of each year.
History Note: Authority G.S. 130A-233.1;
Eff. February 1, 2004.