201 KAR 14:115. Examinations; school
TO: KRS 317.410, 317.440
AUTHORITY: KRS 317.440
FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 317.440(1)(e) requires the board to promulgate an
administrative regulation to establish examination requirements. This administrative
regulation establishes examination applications and sets forth scores for
1. (1)(a) The requirements in this administrative regulation shall apply to all
examinations given by the board, unless stated otherwise.
A probationary license shall be required to take the barber’s examination.
A barber’s license shall be required to take the instructor’s examination.
A student from a barber school shall not take any of the board’s examinations:
Without proof of a high school diploma, transcript, or GED certificate; and
Unless the application for examination has reached the board’s headquarters at
least seven (7) days prior to the date of the examination.
An applicant for a board examination shall complete the appropriate application
form, incorporated by reference in this administrative regulation.
2. The board's examination shall be given only to students who:
Have been notified to appear for the examination;
Are wearing a clean, washable uniform; and
Have instruments to be used in the giving of their demonstrations.
3. The board's examination shall include:
A written examination that covers all subjects set forth in the administrative
regulations relating to barbers, 201 KAR Chapter 14; and
(2) A practical demonstration on a living model.
4. An applicant shall pass each portion, practice and theory, of the
probationary examination with a seventy-five (75) percent passing grade on the
5. An applicant for an instructor's license shall score a general average of
eighty (80) percent on the board's examination.
6. A student who works in a barber shop prior to passing the probationary
examination given by the board shall not be allowed to take the probationary
examination until first:
Paying a fine, as defined in KRS 317.590, in keeping with the seriousness of
the violation and the facts of the case; and
Meeting all the requirements of KRS Chapter 317 and 201 KAR Chapter 14.
7. The examination schedule shall be conspicuously displayed on a bulletin
board provided by the school.
8. Written and oral tests shall be given at intervals by a school to determine
the status of the student.
9. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
“Probationary Barber’s Application for Examination,” 6/13;
“Barber’s Application for Examination,” 6/13; and
“Instructor’s Application for Examination,” 10/13.
This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable
copyright law, at the Board of Barbering, 9114 Leesgate Road, Suite 6,
Louisville, KY 40222, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (KBB:Sch:Exam-1;
1 Ky.R. 729; eff. 5-14-1975; Am. 3 Ky.R. 324; eff. 11-3-1976; 10 Ky.R. 900;
eff. 2-1-1984; 40 Ky.R. 1866; 2688; eff. 7-7-2014.)