WACs > Title 296 > Chapter 296-24 > Section 296-24-29405
Agency filings affecting this section
Hemp and wire rope slings.
(1) Inspection. All rope slings shall be inspected thoroughly and regularly at intervals of not more than one month, and when not in use, shall be stored in a dry place.
(2) Pads. Rope slings shall be protected with pads or blocks when wrapped around sharp edges of structural shapes, casting, etc.
(3) Slip-noose. Slings shall not be used in single strand slip-noose form.
(4) Acids. Hemp rope shall not be used as slings for handling objects contaminated with acid.
(5) How attached. Hand-ropes (guide-ropes) shall not be attached to slings but to hoisting tackle, or (only when necessary) attached to the object handled.
(6) Strength. All slings shall be of sufficient strength for handling the imposed loads. See tables given for hemp and wire ropes.
(7) Double slings. Double slings shall be used on all horizontal loads over twelve feet in length, and the distance between the points where slings are attached shall be sufficient to prevent the load from tipping up endwise.
(8) Spreaders. Spreaders shall be used where there is a danger of sling ends or "hitches" slipping together.
(9) DefectiveâDestroyed. Defective and unsafe slings shall be destroyed in order to avoid possibility of their being used by mistake.
[Order 73-5, Â§ 296-24-29405, filed 5/9/73 and Order 73-4, Â§ 296-24-29405, filed 5/7/73.]