WEST VIRGINIA CODE
WVC 5 A- 1 - 1
For the purpose of this chapter:
(1) "Commodities" means supplies, material, equipment and any
other articles or things used by or furnished to a department,
agency or institution of state government.
(2) "Contract" means an agreement between a state spending
unit and a vendor relating to the procurement of commodities or
services, or both.
(3) "Debarment" means the exclusion of a vendor from the right
to bid on contracts to sell goods or supply services to the state
or its subdivisions for a specified period of time.
(4) "Director" means the director of the division referred to
in the heading of the article in which the word appears.
(5) "Electronic" means electrical, digital, magnetic, optical,
electromagnetic or any other similar technology.
(6) "Electronic transmission" or "electronically transmitted"
means any process of communication not directly involving the
physical transfer of paper that is suitable for the retention,
retrieval and reproduction of information by the recipient.
(7) "Expendable commodities" means those commodities which,
when used in the ordinary course of business, will become consumed
or of no market value within the period of one year or less.
(8) "Grant" means the furnishing of assistance, financial or
otherwise, to any person or entity to support a program authorized by law.
(9) "Nonprofit workshops" means an establishment: (A) Where
any manufacture or handiwork is carried on; (B) which is operated
either by a public agency or by a cooperative or by a nonprofit
private corporation or nonprofit association in which no part of
the net earnings thereof inures, or may lawfully inure, to the
benefit of any private shareholder or individual; (C) which is
operated for the primary purpose of providing remunerative
employment to blind or severely disabled persons who cannot be
absorbed into the competitive labor market; and (D) which shall be
approved, as evidenced by a certificate of approval, by the State
Board of Vocational Education, Division of Vocational
(10) "Printing" means printing, binding, ruling,
lithographing, engraving and other similar services.
(11) "Procurement" means the buying, purchasing, renting,
leasing or otherwise obtaining of commodities or services.
(12) "Public funds" means funds of any character, including
federal moneys, belonging to or in the custody of any state
(13) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a
read-only tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or
other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
(14) "Removable property" means any personal property not permanently affixed to or forming a part of real estate.
(15) "Request for quotations" means a solicitation for a bid
where cost is the primary factor in determining the award.
(16) "Responsible bidder" means a vendor who has the
capability to fully perform the contract requirements, and the
integrity and reliability which will assure good-faith performance.
(17) "Responsive bidder" means a vendor who has submitted a
bid which conforms in all material respects to the bid
(18) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Administration.
(19) "Services" means the furnishing of labor, time, expertise
or effort, not involving the delivery of a specific end commodity
or product other than one that may be incidental to the required
(20) "Spending officer" means the executive head of a spending
unit, or a person designated by him or her.
(21) "Spending unit" means a department, bureau, department,
division, office, board commission, authority, agency or
institution of the state government for which an appropriation is
requested of the Governor, or to which an appropriation is made by
the Legislature, unless a specific exemption from this chapter is
provided in this code.
(22) "The state and its subdivisions" means the State of West
Virginia, every political subdivision thereof, every administrative entity that includes such a subdivision, all municipalities and all
county boards of education.
(23) "Vendor" means any person or entity that may, through
contract or other means, supply the state or its subdivisions with
commodities or services, and lessors of real property.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.