TITLE 3. GUARDIANSHIP AND RELATED PROCEDURES
SUBTITLE B. SCOPE, JURISDICTION, AND VENUE
CHAPTER 1021. GENERAL PROVISIONS
This section was amended by the 84th Legislature. Pending publication of the current statutes, see S.B. 1296, 84th Legislature, Regular Session, for amendments affecting this section.
Sec. 1021.001. MATTERS RELATED TO GUARDIANSHIP PROCEEDING. (a) For purposes of this code, in a county in which there is no statutory probate court, a matter related to a guardianship proceeding includes:
(1) the granting of letters of guardianship;
(2) the settling of an account of a guardian and all other matters relating to the settlement, partition, or distribution of a ward's estate;
(3) a claim brought by or against a guardianship estate;
(4) an action for trial of title to real property that is guardianship estate property, including the enforcement of a lien against the property;
(5) an action for trial of the right of property that is guardianship estate property;
(6) after a guardianship of the estate of a ward is required to be settled as provided by Section 1204.001:
(A) an action brought by or on behalf of the former ward against a former guardian of the ward for alleged misconduct arising from the performance of the person's duties as guardian;
(B) an action calling on the surety of a guardian or former guardian to perform in place of the guardian or former guardian, which may include the award of a judgment against the guardian or former guardian in favor of the surety;
(C) an action against a former guardian of the former ward that is brought by a surety that is called on to perform in place of the former guardian;
(D) a claim for the payment of compensation, expenses, and court costs, and any other matter authorized under Chapter 1155 and Subpart H, Part 2, Subtitle Z; and
(E) a matter related to an authorization made or duty performed by a guardian under Chapter 1204; and
(7) the appointment of a trustee for a trust created under Section 1301.053 or 1301.054, the settling of an account of the trustee, and all other matters relating to the trust.
(b) For purposes of this code, in a county in which there is a statutory probate court, a matter related to a guardianship proceeding includes:
(1) all matters and actions described in Subsection (a);
(2) a suit, action, or application filed against or on behalf of a guardianship or a trustee of a trust created under Section 1301.053 or 1301.054; and
(3) a cause of action in which a guardian in a guardianship pending in the statutory probate court is a party.
Added by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 161 (S.B. 1093), Sec. 6.015(a), eff. January 1, 2014.