Section 40-26B-73Hospital Assessment Account.
(a)(1) There is created within the Health Care Trust Fund referenced in Article 3, Chapter 6, Title 22, a designated account known as the Hospital Assessment Account.
(2) The hospital assessments imposed under this article shall be deposited into the Hospital Assessment Account.
(b) Moneys in the Hospital Assessment Account shall consist of:
(1) All moneys collected or received by the department from privately operated hospital assessments imposed under this article;
(2) Any interest or penalties levied in conjunction with the administration of this article; and
(3) Any appropriations, transfers, donations, gifts, or moneys from other sources, as applicable.
(c) The Hospital Assessment Account shall be separate and distinct from the State General Fund and shall be supplementary to the Health Care Trust Fund.
(d) Moneys in the Hospital Assessment Account shall not be used to replace other general revenues appropriated and funded by the Legislature or other revenues used to support Medicaid.
(e) The Hospital Assessment Account shall be exempt from budgetary cuts, reductions, or eliminations caused by a deficiency of State General Fund revenues to the extent permissible under Amendment 26 to the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, now appearing as Section 213 of the Official Recompilation of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, as amended.
(f)(1) Except as necessary to reimburse any funds borrowed to supplement funds in the Hospital Assessment Account, the moneys in the Hospital Assessment Account shall be used only as follows:
a. To make inpatient and outpatient private hospital access payments under this article; or
b. To reimburse moneys collected by the department from hospitals through error or mistake or under this article.
(2)a. The Hospital Assessment Account shall retain account balances remaining each fiscal year.
b. On September 30, 2014 and each year thereafter, any positive balance remaining in the Hospital Assessment Account which was not used by Alabama Medicaid to obtain federal matching funds shall be factored into the calculation of any new assessment rate by reducing the amount of hospital assessment funds that must be generated during the next fiscal year. If there is no new assessment beginning October 1, 2016, the funds remaining shall be refunded to the hospital that paid the assessment in proportion to the amount remaining.
(3) A privately operated hospital shall not be guaranteed that its inpatient and outpatient hospital payments will equal or exceed the amount of its hospital assessment.
(Act 2009-549, p. 1454, §2; Act 2011-615, p. 1383, §1; Act 2013-246, p. 595, §1.)