Section 9-21-4Alabama Board for Aquatic Plant Management.
(a) This chapter creates the Alabama Board for Aquatic Plant Management with all of the following powers and duties:
(1) Monitor and coordinate the management, treatment, and stewardship of aquatic plants in the waters of the Tennessee River and direct the research and planning related to these activities, as provided in this chapter, so as to protect human health, safety, recreation, and fisheries and, to the greatest degree practicable, prevent injury to non-invasive plant and animal life and property.
(2) Guide and assist when requested in coordinating the activities of public bodies, authorities, non-state agencies, and special districts charged with the management of aquatic plants in the waters of the Tennessee River.
(3) Promote, develop, and support research activities directed toward effective and efficient management of aquatic plants in the waters of the Tennessee River.
(4) Develop and adopt an aquatic plant management strategic plan or plans to accomplish the purposes of this chapter, including, but not limited to, public awareness and education, prevention and detection of invasive aquatic plants, management, control, and restoration of infested areas, and emergency response.
(5) Adopt rules and guidelines to implement this chapter that comply with existing federal and state rules and regulations.
(b) The board shall meet at such times and places as it shall determine necessary or convenient to perform its duties. A majority of the board members shall constitute a quorum.
(c) The board shall annually elect a chair and vice chair from among its membership. Members of the board appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, and the Governor shall be appointed for four year terms. All other members may serve as long as the member holds the position or employment by reason of which the member became a member of the board.
(d) Members of the board shall receive reimbursement for travel expenses incurred in the performance of their duties in the same manner as state employees, subject to approval of the chair, but shall receive no other compensation. Travel expenses incurred shall be reimbursed to members from the Aquatic Plant Management Fund created pursuant to Section 9-21-6.
(Act 2013-384, p. 1442, §4.)