The following definitions shall have the following meanings respectively ascribed to them unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
(1) BOARD. The Alabama State Public Market Board created pursuant to this article.
(2) LIVESTOCK. Cattle, swine, sheep, goats, equidae, ratites, poultry and exotic animals.
(3) LIVESTOCK MARKET. A place, concentration or collection point or other public or private place where a person shall assemble livestock for either public or private sale by him and the service or the cost or expense thereof is to be compensated by the owner, on a commission basis or otherwise. Such term shall not include:
(a) Any place, other than at a permanently established livestock market, used solely for the dispersal sale of the livestock of a farmer, dairyman, livestock breeder or feeder who is discontinuing said business and no other livestock is there sold or offered for sale;
(b) Any farm, ranch or place where livestock either raised or kept thereon for the grazing season or for fattening is sold and no other livestock is brought there for sale or offered for sale;
(c) The premises of any butcher, packer or processor who receives animals exclusively for immediate slaughter;
(d) The premises of any person engaged in the raising of livestock for breeding purposes only who limits his sale to animals of his own production;
(e) Any place where a producer or an association of producers of livestock of any class assemble and offer for sale and sell under his or their own management any livestock when such producer or association of producers shall assume all responsibility of such sale and the title of livestock sold; and
(f) Any place, other than a permanently established livestock market, used solely for livestock sales of 4-H Clubs, Future Farmers of America and other youth organizations of like kind.
(4) COMMISSIONER. The Commissioner of the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries.
(5) CHARTER. The charter for a public livestock market business authorized to be issued under this article.
(6) PERSON. Any individual, association, partnership, corporation, or other entity.
(7) LIVESTOCK MARKET OWNER. Any person engaged in the business of conducting or operating a public livestock market whether personally or through agents or employees.
(8) DEPARTMENT. The Department of Agriculture and Industries.
(Acts 1991, No. 91-629, p. 1171, §4; Acts 1994, No. 94-322, p. 562, §7.)