For the purpose of this article the following terms shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them by this section:
(1) LOCAL AGENCY. Any county existing or hereafter created pursuant to the laws of this state.
(2) INDIGENT. Any person who has resided continuously in this state for not less than one year and who is acutely ill or injured and can be helped markedly by treatment in a hospital, but who is unable to pay the cost of such hospitalization from his own resources or from the resources of those upon whom he is legally dependent.
(3) DEPARTMENT. The Department of Human Resources.
(4) HOSPITAL. Any state, county, municipal or other public or private hospital licensed under the laws of this state, except a hospital, whether public or private, which is operated primarily for the care and treatment of tuberculosis, mental disorders or any other such chronic disease or illness.
(5) REGIONAL REFERRAL HOSPITAL. Any hospital that provides services to patients who reside in counties other than the county in which the hospital is located.
(Acts 1979, No. 79-808, p. 1487, §3.)