Wherever used in this article, unless a different meaning clearly appears in the context, the following terms shall be given the following respective meanings:
(1) MUNICIPALITY. Any incorporated city or town in the State of Alabama.
(2) PROJECT. Any land and any building or other improvement thereon and all real and personal properties deemed necessary in connection therewith, whether or not now in existence, which shall be suitable for use by the following or by any combination of two or more thereof:
a. Any industry for the manufacturing, processing, or assembling of any agricultural or manufactured products;
b. Any commercial enterprise in storing, warehousing, distributing, or selling products of agriculture, mining, or industry;
c. Any commercial enterprise providing linen rental services (including laundry and cleaning services related or incidental thereto) primarily to industries and commercial enterprises described in either of the preceding paragraphs a. and b. and to institutions such as hospitals, nursing homes, other health care facilities, and educational and training institutions;
d. Any enterprise for research in connection with any of the foregoing or for the purpose of developing new products or new processes or improving existing products or known processes or for the purpose of aiding in the development of facilities for the exploration of outer space or promoting the national defense; and
e. Pollution control facilities, which shall be suitable for use by any industry or enterprise or by any combination of two or more thereof, but not facilities designed for the sale or distribution to the public of electricity, gas, water, or telephone or other services commonly classified as public utilities.
(3) GOVERNING BODY. The board or body in which the legislative powers of the municipality are vested.
(4) MORTGAGE. A mortgage or a mortgage and deed of trust.
(5) POLLUTION CONTROL FACILITIES. Any land, building, structure, or equipment having to do with or the end purpose of which is the control, abatement, or prevention of water, air, noise, or general environmental pollution, including but not limited to, any air pollution control facility, noise abatement facility, water management facility, waste water collecting systems, waste water treatment works, or solid waste disposal facility.
(6) POLLUTION. The placing of any noxious or deleterious substances, including noise, in any air or water of or adjacent to the State of Alabama or affecting the physical, chemical, or biological properties of any air or water of or adjacent to the State of Alabama in a manner and to an extent which renders or is likely to render such air or water inimical or harmful to the public health, safety, or welfare or to animal, bird, or aquatic life or to the use of such air or water for domestic, industrial, agricultural, or recreational purposes.
(Acts 1951, No. 756, p. 1307, §1; Acts 1964, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 163, p. 227, §2; Acts 1971, No. 1892, p. 3080, §2; Acts 1983, No. 83-429, p. 608.)