Section 45-30-250.04Board of directors.
(a) The authority shall be governed by a board of directors. All powers of the authority shall be exercised by the board or pursuant to its authorization.
(b) The initial board of directors shall consist of the three citizens appointed to incorporate the authority and six other directors to be appointed as follows:
(1) In addition to the appointment of one of the incorporators who shall serve an initial term of three years, the Franklin County Commission shall appoint one additional director who shall serve an initial term of three years.
(2) The county highway engineer shall serve as a perpetual member on the board of directors.
(3) With each incorporated municipality, regardless of size, having one vote in the selection, the elected mayors of all incorporated municipalities in Franklin County, as a group, shall appoint one director who shall serve an initial term of two years.
(4) The chairs of the existing water authorities in Franklin County shall jointly appoint two directors who shall serve initial terms of one year.
(5) The Franklin County Fire Fighters Association and the Franklin County Rescue Association shall jointly appoint a director who shall serve an initial term of one year.
(c) The incorporator appointed by the senator shall serve an initial term of two years and shall be chair of the board of directors.
(d) The incorporator appointed by the member of the House of Representatives shall serve an initial term of two years.
(e) As soon as may be practicable after the organization of the authority, an election shall be held by the board of directors to elect a vice chair and a secretary-treasurer. No person shall serve as chair more than two consecutive terms.
(f) Upon the expiration of the initial terms, successor directors shall serve a term of three years and vacancies shall be filled by the respective appointing authority that made the initial appointment. In the event of a vacancy in office due to death, disability, resignation, or impeachment, the unexpired term of the office shall be filled by appointment by the respective appointing authority making the initial appointment. No officer of the state or of any county or municipality shall be eligible to serve as a director during the term of office.
(g) Each director appointed shall be a duly qualified elector of, a resident of, and the owner of real property in the service area of the authority. No person shall be eligible to serve for more than three consecutive terms as a director. Each director and the chair may receive compensation in the same manner and under the same conditions as provided pursuant to the general law in Section 11-88-6. In addition, each director shall be entitled to twentyfive dollars ($25) per diem expense allowance for each day spent in the performance of official business of the authority.
(h) Any director of the authority may be impeached and removed from office in the same manner and on the same grounds provided by Section 175 of the Constitution of Alabama of 1901, and the general laws of the state for impeachment and removal of the officers mentioned in Section 175.
(i) The Franklin County Commission may provide office space for the authority.
(Act 93-376, p. 638, §5; Act 2003-365, p. 1029, §1.)