Advanced Search

§45-19-12.1  Tuition to children of deceased or disabled fire fighters. –

Published: 2015

Subscribe to a Global-Regulation Premium Membership Today!

Key Benefits:

Subscribe Now for only USD$40 per month.

Towns and cities


Relief of Injured and Deceased Fire Fighters and Police Officers

SECTION 45-19-12.1

   § 45-19-12.1  Tuition to children of

deceased or disabled fire fighters. –

(a) If an active member of the fire force of a city or town or crash rescue

crew persons of the state of Rhode Island is killed or dies or becomes totally

and permanently disabled from injuries received while in the performance of his

or her duty as a member, or dies of a performance related heart condition, or

dies of performance related respiratory ailments, or dies of any conditions

derived from performance related hypertension, there shall be paid, out of the

general fund of the state of Rhode Island, the charges for the tuition of

children of the deceased or totally and permanently disabled fire fighters. The

benefits shall be extended to the children who are attending or may attend the

University of Rhode Island, Rhode Island College, or any other college or

university operated by the state; provided, that the child has entered the

institution while between the ages of sixteen (16) and twenty-one (21); and

provided, further, that the aid granted in this section is available to the

child for a period of time that equals the normal time for completing the

courses regularly offered by the institution, but in no case more than four (4)


   (b) For the purposes of this section, the words "members of

fire force" mean and include any member of a fire force or crash rescue crew

persons of any city or town regularly employed at a fixed salary or wage; this

includes auxiliary and volunteer fire fighters and crash rescue crew persons of

any city, town, or state fire fighting department.

History of Section.

(P.L. 1979, ch. 267, § 1; P.L. 1981, ch. 202, § 1; P.L. 1984, ch.

333, § 1; P.L. 1987, ch. 277, § 1.)