Section 45-16-242.20Imposition of tax.
(a) The Coffee County Commission is hereby authorized to impose upon every person, firm, or corporation who sells, stores, delivers, uses, or otherwise consumes tobacco or certain tobacco products in Coffee County a county privilege, license, or excise tax in the following amounts:
(1) Five cents ($0.05) for each package of cigarettes, made of tobacco or any substitute therefor.
(2) Five cents ($0.05) for each package of cigars or cigarellos, such as Winchester, which are similar to, and which are packaged like, cigarettes.
(3) Two cents ($0.02) for each cigar, cheroot, or stogie of any description made of tobacco or any substitute therefor which are not similar to, nor packaged like, cigarettes as provided for in subdivision (2).
(4) Two cents ($0.02) for each sack, can, package, or other container of smoking tobacco, including granulated, plug cut, crimp cut, ready rubbed, and other kinds and forms of tobacco which are prepared in such manner as to be suitable for smoking in a pipe or cigarette.
(5) Three cents ($0.03) for each sack, plug, package, or other container of chewing tobacco, which tobacco is prepared in such manner as to be suitable for chewing only and not suitable for smoking as described in subdivision (4).
(6) Three cents ($0.03) for each can, bottle, glass, tumbler package, or other container of snuff made of tobacco or any substitute therefor.
(b) The privilege, license, or excise tax shall be in addition to all other federal, state, or local taxes heretofore imposed by law.
(c) Provided, however, when the license tax hereby required to be paid shall have been paid by a wholesaler or seller of cigarettes, cigars, snuff, smoking tobacco, and like tobacco products, such payment shall be sufficient, the intent being that such license tax hereby required to be paid shall be paid but once on each package of cigarettes and on each cigar.
(Act 87-337, p. 491, §1.)