WACs > Title 468 > Chapter 468-400 > Section 468-400-020
Agency filings affecting this section
Bicycles are defined in RCW 46.04.071. Bicycle racing means any contest of speed or competition conducted on bicycles. Bicycle racing permits riding with more than two riders abreast on a roadway. This chapter applies to all bicycle racing events conducted on state highways, including the following types.
(1) Duathlon, triathlon, or multisport event. Duathlons, triathlons, or multisport events are competitions in which bicycle racing forms an essential component. The bicycle race portion of these events is conducted similar to a time trial.
(2) Time trial. Time trials are events in which individuals or small teams of riders, separately ride the same route and distance for elapsed time. Time trials are generally started at preset intervals and held on an out-and-back or circuit course.
(3) Criterium. Criteriums are massed start, high speed bicycle race events in which riders race around a closed circuit course to compete for order of finish. Criteriums are usually held on closed urban or suburban public streets. The course is normally one-half to one mile long.
(4) Road race. Road races are massed start events in which riders complete a race course for order of finish. The course may be point-to-point, a large circuit, or repeated laps of a shorter circuit. Road races are usually held on rural or suburban roads, but may also utilize urban streets.
(5) Rolling enclosure. A rolling enclosure is a type of traffic control where escort vehicles form an enclosed caravan for the exclusive use of bicyclists, by leading and following a group of racers. The enclosure moves along the roadway in the direction of the race. Racers inside the enclosure are not required to follow the normal rules of the road but are controlled by the rules set forth in the "Washington State Bicycle Racing Guidelines." Racers are not allowed to cross the roadway centerline unless the entire road is traffic controlled. A rolling enclosure is the typical traffic control strategy for a road race.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 47.36.030. WSR 10-23-075, Â§ 468-400-020, filed 11/15/10, effective 12/16/10. Statutory Authority: Chapters 34.05 and 34.08 RCW. WSR 98-06-029 (Order 171), Â§ 468-400-020, filed 2/26/98, effective 3/29/98.]