WACs > Title 296 > Chapter 296-96 > Section 296-96-02520
Agency filings affecting this section
What are the location and operation requirements for car position indicators in the car?
(1) Audible and visible car position indicators shall be provided in elevator cars. Visible indicator characters shall be one-half inch minimum in height.
(2) Indicators shall be located above the car control panel or above the door.
(3) As the car passed the floor and when a car stops at a floor served by the elevator, the corresponding character shall illuminate.
(4) The signal shall be an automatic verbal annunciator that announces the floor at which the car is about to stop. The verbal announcement indicating the floor shall be completed prior to the initiation of door opening.
For elevators other than destination-oriented elevators that have a rated speed of two hundred feet per minute or less, a nonverbal audible signal with a frequency of 1500 Hz maximum that sounds as the car passes or is about to stop at a floor served by the elevator shall be permitted.
(5) The verbal annunciator shall be ten dBA minimum above ambient, but shall not exceed eighty dBA, measured at the annunciator.
(6) The verbal annunciator shall have a frequency of 300 Hz minimum and 3000 Hz maximum.
(7) Nonverbal audible annunciators must be at least twenty decibels with a frequency no higher than 1500 Hz.
Special purpose and residential elevators are exempt from this section.
[Statutory Authority: Chapter 70.87 RCW. WSR 07-24-041, Â§ 296-96-02520, filed 11/30/07, effective 1/1/08.]