WACs > Title 296 > Chapter 296-307 > Section 296-307-22006
No agency filings affecting this section since 2003
What are the general guarding requirements for power lawnmowers?
(1) Walk-behind, riding-rotary, and reel power lawnmowers designed for use by employees must meet the design specifications in ANSI B71.1-1968.
These specifications do not apply to sulky-type mowers, flail mowers, sickle-bar mowers, or mowers designed for commercial use.
(2) All power-driven chains, belts, and gears must be positioned or guarded to prevent accidental contact with the operator during normal starting, mounting, and operation of the machine.
(3) The motor must have a shutoff device that requires manual and intentional reactivation to restart the motor.
(4) All positions of the operating controls must be clearly identified.
(5) The words, "Caution â Be sure the operating control(s) is in neutral before starting the engine," or similar wording must be clearly visible at an engine starting control point on self-propelled mowers.
(6) All power lawn mowers must be used according to the manufacturer's instructions.
[WSR 97-09-013, recodified as Â§ 296-307-22006, filed 4/7/97, effective 4/7/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040, [49.17.]050 and [49.17.]060. WSR 96-22-048, Â§ 296-306A-22006, filed 10/31/96, effective 12/1/96.]