WACs > Title 132K > Chapter 132K-125 > Section 132K-125-040
No agency filings affecting this section since 2003
As used in this chapter, the following words and phrases shall be defined as follows:
(1) "Academic dishonesty" means plagiarism, cheating on examinations, fraudulent representation of student work product or other acts of academic dishonesty.
(2) "Alcoholic beverages" means liquor as defined in RCW 66.04.010(15) as now law or hereafter amended.
(3) "Assembly" means any overt activity engaged in by two or more persons, the object of which is to gain publicity, advocate a view, petition for a cause, or disseminate information to any person, persons or group of persons.
(4) "ASPCFS" means the associated students of Pierce College - Ft. Steilacoom as defined in the Constitution of that body.
(5) "ASPCP" means the associated students of Pierce College - Puyallup as defined in the Constitution of that body.
(6) "Board" means the board of trustees of Community College District No. 11, state of Washington.
(7) "President" means the chief executive officer of the college and of Community College District No. 11, state of Washington or in his or her absence, the acting chief executive officer.
(8) "College" means Pierce College and any other community college center or facilities established within Community College District No. 11.
(9) "Member of Pierce College community" includes any person who is a student, faculty member, Pierce College official, trustee, guest on a college owned or controlled facility or any other person employed by Pierce College. A person's status in a particular situation shall be determined by the executive dean of student services or director of human resources.
(10) "College facilities" means and includes any and all personal property and real property owned, rented, leased, or operated by or used on behalf of the college or associated students and the board of trustees of Community College District No. 11 and shall include all buildings and appurtenances affixed thereon or attached thereto.
(11) "College official" includes any person employed by Pierce College performing assigned administrative professional or staff responsibilities.
(12) "Executive dean of student services" means the administrator responsible for student services or designee and that person designated by the college president to be responsible for the administration of this chapter.
(13) "Faculty" means any person hired by Pierce College to conduct one or a combination of instruction, counseling, or library services.
(14) "Student" includes all persons taking courses at Pierce College, both full time and part time. Persons who are not officially enrolled for a particular term, but who have a continuing relationship with Pierce College are considered "students."
(15) "Disciplinary action" means and includes the warning, reprimand, probation, suspension, summary suspension, dismissal or expulsion of any student by the executive dean of student services or the college disciplinary committee, issued pursuant to this chapter for the violation of any law or designated rule or regulation of college policy or the rules and regulations of conduct for which a student is subject to disciplinary action.
(16) "College disciplinary committee" means the judicial body provided in this chapter.
(17) "Judicial body" means any person or persons authorized by the executive dean of student services to determine whether a student has violated the Student Conduct Code and to recommend imposition of sanctions.
(18) "Judicial advisor" means a Pierce College official authorized by the executive dean of student services to determine whether a student has violated the Student Conduct Code. The executive dean of student services may authorize a judicial advisor to serve simultaneously as a judicial advisor and the sole member or one of the members of a judicial body. The executive dean of student services may authorize the same judicial advisor to impose sanctions in all cases.
(19) "Rules and regulations of conduct" means those rules contained within this chapter as now exist or which may be hereafter amended, the violation of which subjects a student to disciplinary action.
(20) "Drug" means a narcotic drug as defined in RCW 69.50.101, a controlled substance as defined in RCW 69.50.201 through 69.50.212, or a legend drug as defined as RCW 69.41.010.
(21) "Cheating" includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Use of any unauthorized assistance in taking quizzes, tests, or examinations; writing papers, preparing reports, solving problems, or carrying out other assignments; or
(b) The acquisition, without permission, of tests or other academic material belonging to a member of Pierce College faculty or staff.
(22) "Plagiarism" includes, but is not limited to, the use, by paraphrase or direct quotation, of the published or unpublished work of another person without full and clear acknowledgment. It also includes the unacknowledged use of materials prepared by another person or agency engaged in the selling of term papers or other academic materials.
(23) "Organization" means any number of persons who have complied with the formal requirements for college or student government recognition.
(24) "Shall" is used in the imperative sense.
(25) "May" is used in the permissive sense.
(26) "Policy" is defined as the written regulations of Pierce College as found in, but not limited to, the student code, the Student Handbook, class schedules and college catalogs.
(27) "Hazing" means any method of initiation into a student organization or living group or any pastime or amusement engaged in with respect to such an organization or living group that causes, or is likely to cause - bodily danger or physical harm - or serious mental or emotional harm - to any student or other person attending any institution of higher education or post secondary institution. Excluded from this definition are "customary athletic events or other similar contests or competitions."
(28) "Trespass" means the definition of trespass as contained in chapter 9A.52 RCW as now law or hereafter amended.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 128B.50.140(13) [28B.50.140(13)]. WSR 99-10-046, Â§ 132K-125-040, filed 4/30/99, effective 5/31/99.]