WACs > Title 352 > Chapter 352-32 > Section 352-32-075
Agency filings affecting this section
Use of nonmotorized cycles or similar devices.
(1) Whenever used in this section, nonmotorized cycle or similar device shall mean any wheeled, operator-propelled equipment that transports the operator on land, including cycles, in-line skates and skateboards, but not including wheelchairs or other devices utilized by persons with disabilities.
(2) Operation of nonmotorized cycles or similar devices shall be permitted upon public roads in state park areas.
(3) No operation of nonmotorized cycles or similar devices shall be permitted on trails in any state park area, except where designated and posted to specifically or conditionally permit such activity, or as specified in (b) of this subsection.
(a) The director or designee may open or close trails to such use. This decision shall include an evaluation of factors including, but not limited to, the degree of conflict with other park users, public safety, and damage to park resources and/or facilities related to these devices. This evaluation shall include a reasonable effort to involve interested trail users of the park in question, including, at a minimum, one public meeting advertised and conducted in the region where the park is located.
(b) No existing trails open to use by nonmotorized cycles or similar devices prior to January 1, 1999, shall be closed to such use without an evaluation of use suitability following the criteria and process of (a) of this subsection; except for temporary closures by the park manager due to emergency health, safety, or resource protection considerations.
(4) No operation of nonmotorized cycles or similar devices shall be permitted off trails in any state park area, except where authorized by the commission and posted to specifically or conditionally permit such activity.
(5) Use of nonmotorized cycles or similar devices is prohibited in the following state park areas:
(a) Within designated natural areas, natural forest areas, or natural area preserves: Provided, That relocation of existing nonmotorized trails into natural areas or natural forest areas may be permitted upon a finding by the director or designee that such relocation is for the purpose of reducing overall resource impacts to a state park area.
(b) Upon designated special use trails such as interpretive or exercise trails.
(c) Upon docks, piers, floats, and connecting ramps.
(6) Persons operating such devices in state park areas shall:
(a) Obey regulatory signs, including those permanently or temporarily erected, that govern the timing, location, speed, type and/or manner of operation, designed to promote visitor health and safety.
(b) Restrict speed and manner of operation to reasonable and prudent practices relative to terrain, prevailing conditions, equipment, personal capabilities, personal safety, and the safety of all other park visitors.
(c) Yield the right of way to pedestrians and animals.
(d) Dismount and walk in congested areas and posted walk zones.
(e) Slow down, make presence known well in advance, and use courtesy and caution when approaching or overtaking other persons or animals.
(f) Display adequate lighting during hours of darkness.
(g) Use caution when approaching turns or areas of limited sight distance.
(h) Not disturb or harass wildlife.
(i) When on public roads within a state park area, operate in compliance with any additional requirements of RCW 46.61.750 through 46.61.850.
(7) The director or designee may designate trails for preferential use by cyclists and may specifically authorize use of any facilities for special cycling recreation events, excluding roads or trails specified in subsection (5) of this section.
(8) Any violation of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 79A.05.030, 79A.05.035, 79A.05.055, and 79A.05.070. WSR 05-01-069, Â§ 352-32-075, filed 12/9/04, effective 1/9/05. Statutory Authority: Chapter 79A.05 RCW, including RCW 79A.05.030, 79A.05.035, 79A.05.055, and 79A.05.070. WSR 00-13-070, Â§ 352-32-075, filed 6/16/00, effective 7/17/00. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.51.040, 43.51.045, 43.51.050, 43.51.060(1), 43.51.061 and 43.51.395. WSR 99-15-030, Â§ 352-32-075, filed 7/13/99, effective 8/13/99. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.51.040. WSR 98-04-065, Â§ 352-32-075, filed 2/2/98, effective 3/5/98. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.51.040(1), [43.51.]045, [43.51.]050, [43.51.]060(1), [43.51.]061 and [43.51.]395. WSR 96-01-078, Â§ 352-32-075, filed 12/18/95, effective 1/18/96. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.51.040 and 43.51.180(7). WSR 92-19-098, Â§ 352-32-075, filed 9/17/92, effective 10/18/92. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.51.040 and 43.51.060. WSR 89-01-034 (Order 108), Â§ 352-32-075, filed 12/13/88.]