WACs > Title 16 > Chapter 16-302 > Section 16-302-500
No agency filings affecting this section since 2003
Land requirements for red clover seed certification.
Land requirements for the production of red clover seed are as follows:
(1) A field planted with red clover breeder seed for the production of foundation seed must have grown or been seeded to red clover during the preceding six years of planting, three years of which the land must be cultivated.
(2) A field to be planted with red clover foundation seed for the production of certified seed must not have grown or been seeded to red clover during the preceding two years. The time interval may be shortened to one year if one cultivated crop or clean fallow has intervened and the new planting is of the same variety and class.
(3) A stand of red clover is not eligible to produce certified seed after two seed crops. The two crops may be produced either in the same or in consecutive years.
(4) Reseeding of a red clover field because of failure or partial failure of the first seeding may be done by referring to the guidelines in WAC 16-302-045(5).
(5) Ditchbanks, roadways, etc., adjacent to a certified red clover field must be free of volunteer red clover and prohibited noxious weeds.
(6) Volunteer plants in the red clover field may be cause for rejection or reclassification of the seed field.
(7) No manure or contaminating material may be applied one year preceding planting, or during the establishment and productive period of the red clover stand.
(8) A stand of red clover over three years old is not eligible for certification.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 15.49.005, 15.49.081, 15.49.310, 15.49.370(3) and chapter 17.24 RCW. WSR 00-24-077, Â§ 16-302-500, filed 12/4/00, effective 1/4/01.]