SECTION .1100 – GENERAL INFORMATION: DEFINITIONS
10A NCAC 14F .1101 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions shall apply throughout this
(1) "ACLS-trained" means training that is
current in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, by the American Heart Association and
who has appropriate licensure to administer advanced cardiac life support.
(2) "ACSM" means the American College of Sports Medicine.
(3) "Article" means Article 8 of G.S. 131E.
(4) "Cardiac Rehabilitation Program" has the
same meaning as the definition in the Article.
(5) "Certification" has the same meaning as
the definition in the Article.
(6) "DVRS" means the Division of Vocational
Rehabilitation Services, North Carolina Department of Health and Human
(7) "Department" means the North Carolina
Department of Health and Human Services.
(8) "Division" means the Division of Health
Service Regulation, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
(9) "ECG" means electrocardiogram.
(10) "Graded exercise test" (GXT) means a multistage
test that determines a person's physiological response to different intensities
of exercise or the person's peak aerobic capacity.
(11) "Maximal oxygen consumption" means the
highest rate of oxygen transport and oxygen use that can be achieved at a
person's maximal physical exertion, or functional capacity. This is usually
expressed in METs.
(12) "MET" means "metabolic
equivalent," a measure of functional capacity, or maximal oxygen
consumption. One MET represents the approximate rate of oxygen consumption by
a seated individual at rest: approximately 3.5 ml/kg/min. METs during exercise
are determined by dividing metabolic rate during exercise by the metabolic rate
(13) "Nurse Practitioner" means a currently
licensed registered nurse approved by the NC Board of Nursing and NC Medical
Board to practice medicine as a nurse practitioner under the supervision of a
physician licensed by the Board.
(14) "Owner" means the legal owner of the
certified cardiac rehabilitation program.
(15) "Physician" means an individual who is
licensed according to G.S. 90, Article 1, by the NC Medical Board to practice
(16) "Physician Assistant" means an individual
who is licensed and registered according to G.S. 90, Article 1, by the NC
Medical Board to practice medicine under the supervision of a physician
licensed by the Board.
(17) "Premises" means "site."
(18) "Program" means "Cardiac
(19) "Risk stratification model" means a method
of categorizing patients according to their risk of acute cardiovascular
complications during exercise as well as their overall prognosis. Risk status
is related primarily to the type and severity of cardiovascular disease. This
rating takes into account how well the heart pumps, the presence of heart pain
symptoms and/or changes in the electrocardiogram during exercise. Guidelines
concerning medical supervision of patients in cardiac rehabilitation programs
which are based on risk stratification models are provided by: the American College of Cardiology, the American College of Physicians, the American Association of
Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, the American Heart Association,
and the North Carolina Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Association.
(20) "Simple spirometry" means an analysis of
air flow which provides information as to the degree and severity of airway
obstruction, and serves as an index of dynamic lung function. It must include,
at a minimum, Forced Vital Capacity and Forced Expiratory Volume in 1 second.
(21) "Site" means the facility in which the
cardiac rehabilitation program is held.
(22) "Supervising physician" means a physician
who is on-site during the operation of the cardiac rehabilitation program.
(23) "Symptom-limited heart rate reserve" means
the difference between the symptom-limited maximal heart rate and the resting
(24) "Vocational Questionnaire" means the
document used for vocational assessment.
(25) "Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor"
means an individual who provides vocational rehabilitation counseling services.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E-169;
Eff. July 1, 2000.