WACs > Title 434 > Chapter 434-381 > Section 434-381-180
Agency filings affecting this section
Editing statements and arguments.
The secretary of state is not responsible for the content of arguments or statements and shall not edit the content of statements or arguments:
(1) The secretary may correct obvious errors in grammar, spelling or punctuation;
(2) The secretary shall promptly attempt to notify any candidate or committee, by any means the secretary deems reasonable under the circumstances, if a statement or argument exceeds the maximum number of words. If the candidate or committee does not provide the secretary with a revised statement or argument that meets the word limit within three business days after the deadline for submission of the statement or argument, then the secretary shall modify the statement to fit the limit by removing full sentences, starting at the end, until the maximum word limit is reached;
(3) The secretary shall notify any committee that submits a title or identification for their members that does not conform to WAC 434-381-160(2). If the committee does not provide the secretary with a revised title or identification that meets the requirements established in WAC 434-381-160(2) within three business days after the deadline for submission, the secretary shall publish the name without any title or identification;
(4) Prior to publishing the pamphlet the secretary shall make a reasonable effort to provide a proof copy to the candidate or committee as it will appear showing any changes to the statement or argument; and
(5) Candidates or committees may only correct obvious errors or inaccuracies made by the secretary that they discover in their own proof copy. Changes in content are not allowed. Changes must be received by the secretary within three business days after proofs are sent by the secretary.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 29A.04.611, 29A.04.255. WSR 11-05-008, Â§ 434-381-180, filed 2/3/11, effective 3/6/11. Statutory Authority: RCW 29.81.320. WSR 02-02-067, Â§ 434-381-180, filed 12/28/01, effective 1/28/02.]