WACs > Title 170 > Chapter 170-295 > Section 170-295-2010
Agency filings affecting this section
What types of play materials, equipment and activities must I provide for the children?
(1) Provide a variety of easily accessible learning and play materials of sufficient quantity to implement the centers program and meet the developmental needs of children in care.
(2) Have a current daily schedule of activities and lesson plans that are designed to meet the children's developmental, cultural, and individual needs. The toys, equipment and schedule must be:
(a) Specific for each age group of children; and
(b) Include at least one activity daily for each of the following (you can combine several of the following for one activity):
(i) Child initiated activity (free play);
(ii) Staff initiated activity (organized play);
(iii) Individual choices for play;
(iv) Creative expression;
(v) Group activity;
(vi) Quiet activity;
(vii) Active activity;
(viii) Large and small muscle activities; and
(ix) Indoor and outdoor play.
(3) You must ensure the lesson plan, daily schedule of events, available toys and equipment contains a range of learning experiences to allow each child the opportunity to:
(a) Gain self-esteem, self-awareness, self-control, and decision-making abilities;
(b) Develop socially, emotionally, intellectually, and physically;
(c) Learn about nutrition, health, and personal safety; and
(d) Experiment, create, and explore.
(4) Post the daily schedule and lesson plan in each room for easy reference by parents and by caregivers;
(5) Keep the daily schedule of events and lesson plans for the past six months on site for inspection;
(6) Maintain staff-to-child ratios and group size during transitions from one activity to another during the day;
(7) Plan for smooth transitions by:
(a) Establishing familiar routines; and
(b) Using transitions as a learning experience.
(8) Ensure the center's program affords the child daily opportunities for small and large muscle activities, outdoor play, and exposure to language development and books; and
(9) Afford staff classroom planning time.
[WSR 06-15-075, recodified as Â§ 170-295-2010, filed 7/13/06, effective 7/13/06. Statutory Authority: Chapters 74.12 and 74.15 RCW. WSR 04-09-093, Â§ 388-295-2010, filed 4/20/04, effective 5/21/04; WSR 03-14-110, Â§ 388-295-2010, filed 6/30/03, effective 8/1/03.]