WACs > Title 468 > Chapter 468-38 > Section 468-38-030
Agency filings affecting this section
Temporary additional tonnage permits.
(1) What vehicle type or vehicle combination is eligible for the temporary additional tonnage permit provided in RCW 46.44.095? Temporary additional tonnage permits may be issued to the following types of vehicles: Three or more axle single unit trucks; three or more axle truck-tractors, including those equipped with a legal dromedary area; and a truck-tractor with two axles pulling double trailers.
(2) What is the maximum amount of additional tonnage that can be purchased? Tonnage may be purchased up to the legal capacity of the vehicle(s), not to exceed one hundred five thousand five hundred pounds, based on number of axles and axles spacings (RCW 46.44.041), and number and size of tires.
(3) Are temporary additional tonnage permits ever issued to the trailer? Temporary additional tonnage permits are only issued to power units.
(4) Can a department of licensing trip permit be used in lieu of licensed tonnage, to meet the forty thousand pound (single unit) or eighty thousand pound (combination) requirement needed before an additional tonnage permit can be issued? Yes, as provided for in RCW 46.16.160.
(5) Can the additional tonnage permit extend beyond the valid license period? The additional tonnage permit may not extend beyond the valid license period. In the case where department of licensing trip permits are used in lieu of licensed tonnage, a minimum of two three-day trip permits must be used because the additional tonnage permit is sold for a minimum of five days. Only three trip permits can be issued to a vehicle within a thirty-day period, allowing for a maximum of nine days of additional tonnage in any thirty-day period.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 46.44.090. WSR 05-04-053, Â§ 468-38-030, filed 1/28/05, effective 2/28/05; WSR 94-07-054 (Order 142), Â§ 468-38-030, filed 3/11/94, effective 3/11/94; WSR 89-23-110 (Order 68), Â§ 468-38-030, filed 11/22/89, effective 12/23/89; WSR 82-18-010 (Order 31, Resolution No. 156), Â§ 468-38-030, filed 8/20/82. Statutory Authority: 1977 ex.s. c 151. WSR 79-01-033 (DOT Order 10 and Comm. Order 1, Resolution No. 13), Â§ 468-38-030, filed 12/20/78. Formerly WAC 252-24-030.]