WACs > Title 296 > Chapter 296-307 > Section 296-307-24030
No agency filings affecting this section since 2003
What requirements apply to consumption of food and beverages in the workplace?
(1) This section applies to workplaces where employees may consume food, beverages, or both on the premises.
(2) No employee may consume food or beverages in a toilet room nor in any area exposed to a toxic material.
(3) If your workplace exposes employees to injurious dusts or other toxic materials, you must provide a separate lunchroom unless it is convenient for employees to lunch away from the premises. The size of the lunchroom must be based on the maximum number of persons using the room at one time, according to the following table.
25 and less 13
26 - 74 12
75 - 149 11
150 and over 10
(4) You must provide receptacles of smooth, corrosion resistant, easily cleanable, or disposable materials for the disposal of waste food. You must provide enough receptacles to encourage their use and to prevent overfilling. Receptacles must be emptied at least once a working day and maintained in sanitary condition. Receptacles must have a solid tight-fitting cover unless sanitary condition can be maintained without a cover.
(5) No food or beverages may be stored in toilet rooms or in an area exposed to toxic material.
(6) All employee food service facilities and operations must follow sound hygienic principles. If all or part of the food service is provided, the food dispensed must be wholesome and free from spoilage. Food must be processed, prepared, handled, and stored so as to prevent contamination.
[WSR 97-09-013, recodified as Â§ 296-307-24030, filed 4/7/97, effective 4/7/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 49.17.040, [49.17.]050 and [49.17.]060. WSR 96-22-048, Â§ 296-306A-24030, filed 10/31/96, effective 12/1/96.]