WACs > Title 174 > Chapter 174-280 > Section 174-280-030
No agency filings affecting this section since 2003
Release of personally identifiable records.
(1) The college shall not permit access to or the release of education records or personally identifiable information contained therein, other than "directory information," without the written consent of the student, to any party other than the following:
(a) Evergreen staff, faculty, and student employees when the information is specifically required for a legitimate educational interest within the performance of their assigned responsibilities to the college, with the understanding that its use will be strictly limited to the performance of those assigned responsibilities;
(b) Federal and state officials requiring access to educational records in connection with the audit and evaluation of a federally- or state-supported education program or in connection with the enforcement of the federal or state legal requirements which relate to such programs. In such cases the information required shall be protected by the federal or state official in a manner which will not permit the personal identification of students to other than those officials, and such personally identifiable data shall be destroyed when no longer needed for such audit, evaluation or enforcement of legal requirements;
(c) Agencies or organizations requesting information specifically required as a part of a student's application for, or receipt of, financial aid, with the understanding that its use will be strictly limited to that purpose;
(d) Organizations conducting studies for or on behalf of the college for purposes of developing, validating or administering predictive tests, administering student aid programs, and improving instruction, if such studies are conducted in such a manner as will not permit the personal identification of students by persons other than representatives of such organizations, and such information will be destroyed when no longer needed for the purpose for which it was provided;
(e) Accrediting organizations in order to carry out their accrediting functions, if such studies are conducted in such a manner as will not permit the personal identification of students by persons other than representatives of such organizations, and such information will be destroyed when no longer needed for the purpose for which it was provided;
(f) Any person or entity designated by judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena, upon condition that the student is notified of all such orders or subpoenas in advance of compliance therewith. Any college individual(s) or office(s) receiving a subpoena or judicial order for educational records should also immediately notify the assistant attorney general assigned to Evergreen;
(g) A collection agency under contract to Evergreen when necessary to collect past due accounts the student owes to Evergreen upon the condition that the student is forwarded a notice at least ten days in advance of the date the account is transferred;
(h) Results of campus disciplinary action(s) involving a crime of violence and/or sex offense(s) will be disclosed to the accuser upon request. Results will be disclosed only after a finding has been made and appeal options have been exhausted under The Evergreen State College's student conduct code.
(2) Where the consent of a student is obtained for the issuance of education records, it shall be in writing, signed and dated by the student giving the release, and the names of the parties to whom such records will be released, and may include the reasons for such release, except that transcripts may be issued to other colleges or universities for admission as a result of telephone requests from the student.
(3) In cases where records are made available without student release as permitted by subsection (1)(b), (c), (d), (e), (f), and (g) of this section, the appropriate Evergreen official shall maintain a record, which will be made available to the student upon request kept with the education record, which will indicate the parties which have requested or obtained access to a student's records maintained by the college and which will indicate the legitimate interest of the investigating party. Releases in accordance with subsection (1)(a) of this section need not be recorded.
(4) Personally identifiable education records released to third parties, with or without student consent, shall be accompanied by a written statement indicating that the information cannot be subsequently released in a personally identifiable form to any other parties without obtaining consent of the student.
(5) Students may request that the college not release directory information by written notice to the registrar.
(6) Information from education records may be released to appropriate persons in connection with an emergency if the knowledge of such information is clearly necessary to protect the health or safety of a student or other person(s).
(7) Student information in computer files may be released only by the Evergreen individual or office which maintains the respective files.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.40.120(12). WSR 99-12-024, Â§ 174-280-030, filed 5/25/99, effective 6/25/99. Statutory Authority: Chapter 34.05 RCW. WSR 90-04-011, Â§ 174-280-030, filed 1/26/90, effective 2/26/90.]