WAC 192-190-040: Back Pay And Settlements

Link to law: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=192-190-040
Published: 2015

Subscribe to a Global-Regulation Premium Membership Today!

Key Benefits:

Subscribe Now

WACs > Title 192 > Chapter 192-190 > Section 192-190-040



Agency filings affecting this section

WAC 192-190-040

Back pay and settlements.

(1) "Back pay" means wages paid to a worker for a prior pay period. An employer may award back pay to a separated or suspended employee for a specific period of time.
If you received benefits for any weeks for which back pay is awarded, you must report the amount of the back pay to the department.
(a) If the employer does not deduct the amount owed before giving you the award, you will receive an overpayment notice and must pay the amount owed to the department.
(b) If the employer deducts the amount of benefits owed before giving you the back pay award, the employer must pay the amount owed to the department.
(2) A back pay award may not be used to purge a disqualifying separation.
A lump sum payment of worker's compensation benefits does not constitute a back pay award for purposes of RCW 50.20.160.
(3) A "settlement" is the resolution of a dispute or lawsuit under specific terms, often financial. The department will treat a settlement due to loss of wages the same as a back pay award.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 50.12.010, 50.12.040, and 50.20.010. WSR 10-11-046, § 192-190-040, filed 5/12/10, effective 6/12/10.]