1996 No. 2799
The A23 Trunk Road (Streatham High Road and Streatham Hill, Lambeth) (Prescribed Routes) Order 1996
4th November 1996
Coming into force
8th November 1996
The Secretary of State for Transport in exercise of the powers conferred by section 6(1) and (3) of, and Part IV of Schedule 9 to, the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984(1), and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, and after consultation with the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis pursuant to section 7(6) of that Act(2) hereby makes the following Order:
1. This Order may be cited as the A23 Trunk Road (Streatham High Road and Streatham Hill, Lambeth) (Prescribed Routes) Order 1996 and shall come into force on 8th November 1996.
2. In this Order:
“central reserve” means that part of Streatham High Road and Streatham Hill which separates the northbound and southbound carriageways of those roads for the safety and guidance of vehicles using those roads;
“the junction” means the junction of Streatham Hill with Sternhold Avenue; and
“Streatham High Road” and “Streatham Hill” mean those lengths of the A23 Trunk Road in the London Borough of Lambeth known by those names.
3. No person shall cause or permit any vehicle having entered Streatham High Road from Leigham Avenue to proceed in any direction other than southwards.
4. No person shall cause or permit any vehicle—
(a)proceeding in Streatham Hill to turn right into Amesbury Avenue;
(b)having entered Streatham Hill from Amesbury Avenue to proceed in any direction other than southwards; or
(c)proceeding in the southbound carriageway of Streatham Hill to make a U-turn at the junction so as to proceed in the opposite direction.
5. No person shall cause or permit any vehicle to enter or proceed through the gaps in the central reserve which lie—
(a)in Streatham Hill opposite the entrance to Staplefield Close; and
(b)in that length of Streatham Hill between its junctions with Wyatt Park Road and Downton Avenue.
6. Nothing in articles 3, 4 and 5 above shall apply to any vehicle being used for Police, Fire Brigade or Ambulance purposes, or to anything done at the direction or with the permission of a constable in uniform or a traffic warden.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Transport
P. J. Bevis
Highways AgencyLondon Network Management Division
4th November 1996
1984 c. 27; section 6(1) was amended by the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (c. 22), section 168 and Schedule 8, paragraph 21(2).
Section 7(6) was amended by paragraph 3 of Schedule 7 to the Road Traffic Act 1991 (c. 40).