1996 No. 74
HIGHWAYS, ENGLAND AND WALES
The City of Stoke-On-Trent (Lichfield Street Canal Bridge) Scheme, 1995 Confirmation Instrument 1996
15th January 1996
The Secretary of State for Transport makes this Instrument in exercise of powers conferred by section 106(3) and 108(4) of the Highways Act 1980(1), and now vested in him(2), and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf:
1. This Instrument may be cited as the City of Stoke-on-Trent (Lichfield Street Canal Bridge) Scheme, 1995 Confirmation Instrument 1996 and shall come into force on the date on which notice that it has been confirmed is first published in accordance with paragraph 1 of Schedule 2 to the Highways Act 1980.
2. The City of Stoke-on-Trent (Lichfield Street Canal Bridge) Scheme, 1995 is hereby confirmed with modifications.
3. The said Scheme as confirmed (hereinafter referred to as “the Scheme”) is set out in the Schedule hereto and copies of the Scheme with its accompanying plan are deposited at the offices of the Department of Transport, Great Minster House, 43 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DR, and at the offices of the City Council of Stoke-on-Trent, Gordon House, Kingsway, Stoke-on-Trent.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Transport
Regional Director Government Office for the North East
15th January 1996
THE SCHEDULECITY OF STOKE-ON-TRENT (LICHFIELD STREET CANAL BRIDGE) SCHEME, 1995
The Council of the City of Stoke-on-Trent (hereinafter referred to as the Council) acting under an agreement with Staffordshire County Council pursuant to Section 101 of the Local Government Act, 1972 hereby make this scheme in exercise of their powers under Sections 106(3) and 108(4) of the Highways Act, 1980 and of all other powers enabling them in that behalf:—
1. The Council are authorised to construct over the navigable waters of the Caldon Canal the bridge specified in the Schedule to this Scheme, and shown on the deposited plan numbered 6133/18/02 as part of the improvement to the Lichfield Street Canal Bridge, Lichfield Street, Hanley in the City of Stoke-on-Trent in the County of Stafford.
2. The Council are also authorised in connection with the construction of the said bridge to divert the part of the navigable watercourse specified in the said Schedule in the manner shown in that Schedule.
3. The Scheme can be cited as the City of Stoke-on-Trent (Lichfield Street Canal Bridge) Scheme, 1995.
THE SCHEDULE TO THE SCHEME
Plan and Elevation of the Bridge known as Lichfield Street Canal Bridge over the Caldon Canal in the City of Stoke-on-Trent in the County of Stafford
1. The site and general design of the bridge are shown on the plan numbered 6133/18/02 annexed hereto.
Points of Commencement and Termination
2. From a point 3.0 metres north of the northern bank of the Caldon Canal to a point 4.0 metres south of the southern bank of the Caldon Canal, map reference 886468, all on Ordnance Sheet SJ8846NE.
3. The bridge will be 21.0 metres wide overall and will carry a 7.3 metre wide carriageway with 2.5 metre wide footways on the eastern and western sides, together with a 7.7 metre verge. In addition to the 21.0 metres there will be a temporary footway 2.0 metres wide on the western side for use during reconstruction of the Bridge. The Bridge will have an overall length of 13.0 metres.
Navigation Span and Waterway
4. The minimum navigation span and minimum width of waterway will be 5.0 metres.
5. There will be a minimum headway of 2.15 metres over the waterway.
Diversion of the Navigable Watercourse
6. The bridge improvement works will involve the diversion of a small part of the navigable watercourse of the Caldon Canal to exclude the area of present waterway as shown hatched blue on the said plan numbered 6133/18/02.
Given under the Corporate Seal of the Council this 10th day of April 1995
THE CORPORATE SEAL of the COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF STOKE-ON-TRENT was hereunto affixed in the presence of:—
Assistant Director of Legal, Property and Administrative Services
1980 c. 66.