Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland
1996 No. 299
ROAD TRAFFIC AND VEHICLES
Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Fees) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1996
17th July 1996
Coming into operation
2nd September 1996
The Department of the Environment, in exercise of the powers conferred on it by Articles 13(1), 19C(1) and 218(1) of the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981(1) and of every other power enabling it in that behalf, and in accordance with Article 19C(3) of that Order with the approval of the Department of Finance and Personnel, hereby makes the following Regulations:
Citation and commencement
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Fees) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1996 and shall come into operation on 2nd September 1996.
Amendment of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1994
2. For Schedule 1 to the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1994(2) there shall be substituted—
“SCHEDULE 1Fees for Licences
Description of Licence
1. A first licence (except in the case of a licence issued at item 2)
2. A first licence granted to an applicant in exchange for a licence, (other than a provisional licence) granted under section 88 of the Road Traffic Act 1972(3) or section 97 of the Road Traffic Act 1988(4)
3. A full licence granted to an applicant who has previously been granted a provisional licence
4. A renewal licence to remain in force for a period of 10 years under Article 15(1)(a) of the Order
5. A renewal licence to remain in force for a period mentioned in Article 15(1)(b) of the Order i.e. for a period ending on the applicant’s seventieth birthday or for 3 years, whichever is the longer
6. A renewal licence to remain in force for a period determined under Article 15(1)(c) of the Order i.e. granted to an applicant suffering from a relevant or prospective disability
7. A renewal licence where the applicant is aged 70 years or over
8. A licence issued under regulation 5 (licences to drive vehicles in another category), or Article 197(7) of the Order (licence issued free from endorsement on surrender of a current licence)
9. A licence issued in the place of a licence and counterpart granted under regulation 11(1)
10. A licence granted under Article 15(8) of the Order (issue of a new licence in certain circumstances on surrender of a licence) (unless no fee is payable)
In this Schedule—
“a first licence” means a licence issued to an applicant who has not previously held a licence granted under Article 13 of the Order; and
“a renewal licence” means a licence granted upon expiry of a previous licence.”.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of the Environment on
17th July 1996.
The Department of Finance and Personnel approves these Regulations.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Finance and Personnel on
V. N. Hewitt
17th July 1996.
(This note is not part of the Regulations.)
These Regulations further amend the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1994 by increasing the fees for driving licences by an average of 50%.
The fee for the grant of a licence to a person suffering from a relevant or prospective disability is abolished.
S.I. 1981/154 (N.I. 1); see Article 2(2) for the definition of “Department” and “prescribed”; Articles 13 and 19C were substituted by S.I. 1991/197 (N.I. 3) Sch. 1
S.R. 1994 No. 365; to which there are amendments not relevant to these Regulations
1972 c. 20
1988 c. 52