1996 No. 409
LOCAL GOVERNMENT, ENGLAND AND WALES
The Local Government Reorganisation (Wales) (Swansea Bay Port Health Authority) (Amendment) Order 1996
21st February 1996
Laid before Parliament
28th February 1996
Coming into force
20th March 1996
The Secretary of State for Wales, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by section 54(1) and (2)(e) and (g) of the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994(1), hereby makes the following Order:
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Local Government Reorganisation (Wales) (Swansea Bay Port Health Authority) (Amendment) Order 1996 and shall come into force on 20th March 1996.
(2) In this Order—
“the 1991 Order” means the Swansea Bay Port Health Authority 1991(2);
“the joint board” means the Swansea Bay Port Health Authority established by the 1991 Order;
“new authorities” means the county and county borough councils established under the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994.
Amendments to the 1991 Order
2.—(1) The 1991 Order is amended, with effect on and after 1st April 1996, as follows.
(2) In article 1 of the 1991 Order (citation, commencement and interpretation), for paragraph (3) substitute—
“(3) The riparian authorities specified for the purposes of this Order are Bridgend County Borough Council, Neath and Port Talbot County Borough Council, Swansea County Council and the Vale of Glamorgan County Borough Council.”.
(3) In article 2 of the 1991 Order (Port Health Authority), for paragraph (3), substitute—
“(3) The joint board shall be called the Swansea Bay Port Health Authority and shall consist of 19 members of whom 10 shall be appointed by Swansea County Council, 6 by Neath and Port Talbot County Borough Council, 2 by Bridgend County Borough Council and 1 by the Vale of Glamorgan County Borough Council from members of their respective councils.”.
Transitional Provisions: Membership
3.—(1) The members of the joint board who are in office immediately before 1st April 1996 shall retire on that date.
(2) The new authorities which by virtue of article 2(2) become the riparian authorities for the joint board on 1st April 1996 shall before that date appoint members to the joint board.
(3) The members appointed under paragraph (2) shall come into office on 1st April 1996 and shall retire on 31st May 1997.
(4) Except as provided above, the provisions of the 1991 Order shall apply to members appointed in accordance with this article as if they had been appointed under that Order.
Secretary of State for Wales
21st February 1996
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order makes consequential amendments to the Swansea Bay Port Health Authority Order 1991 (S.I. 1991/1773) arising as a result of Welsh local government reorganisation. The Order specifies which new Welsh principal councils are to be the riparian authorities for the purposes of the 1991 Order and the numbers of members that those councils are to appoint to the Swansea Bay Port Health Authority (article 2).
The Order also makes transitional provision with respect to membership of the Swansea Bay Port Health Authority (article 3).
1994 c. 19.