1995 No. 17
The A23 Trunk Road (Brighton Road, Croydon) (Prohibition of Right Turn and U-Turn) Order 1995
6th January 1995
Coming into force
15th January 1995
The Secretary of State for Transport, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 6(1) and (3) of, and Part IV of Schedule 9 to, the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984(1), and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, and after consultation with the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis pursuant to section 7(6) of that Act(2), hereby makes the following Order:
1. This Order may be cited as the A23 Trunk Road (Brighton Road, Croydon) (Prohibition of Right Turn and U-Turn) Order 1995 and shall come into force on 15th January 1995.
2. In this Order—
“Brighton Road” means that length of the A23 Trunk Road in the London Borough of Croydon known as Brighton Road;
“central reserve” means that part of Brighton Road which separates its two carriageways for the safety and guidance of vehicles using that road between its junction with Purley Road and a point 13 metres south-west of its junction with the north-eastern arm of Purley Rise; and
“Purley Rise” means the road of that name in the London Borough of Croydon.
3. Save as provided in article 4 below, no person shall cause or permit any vehicle—
(a)proceeding in Brighton Road to make a right turn into the north-eastern arm of Purley Rise;
(b)having entered Brighton Road from the north-eastern arm of Purley Rise to proceed in any direction other than north-eastwards; or
(c)proceeding south-westbound in Brighton Road to make a U-turn at the south-western extremity of the central reserve so as to proceed in the opposite direction.
4. Nothing in this Order shall apply to anything done with the permission or at the direction of a constable in uniform or of a traffic warden.
5.—(1) The A23 Trunk Road (Brighton Road, Croydon) (Prohibition of Right Turn and U-Turn) Order 1994(3) shall be varied as follows.
(2) In article 2, the definition of “central reserve” shall be omitted.
(3) In article 3, paragraph (c) shall be omitted.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Transport
Director, Network Management Highways Agency London Office
6th January 1995
1984 c. 27; section 6(1) was amended by the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (c. 22), section 168 and Schedule 8, paragraph 21(2).
Section 7(6) was amended by paragraph 3 of Schedule 7 to the Road Traffic Act 1991 (c. 40).