1995 No. 143
NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE
ENGLAND AND WALES
The University Dental Hospital National Health Service Trust (Establishment) Order 1995
16th January 1995
Coming into force
6th February 1995
The Secretary of State for Wales, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 5(1) of and paragraphs 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6(2)(d) of Schedule 2 to the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990(1) and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, having consulted the persons or bodies referred to in section 5(3) of that Act, hereby makes the following Order:
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the University Dental Hospital National Health Service Trust (Establishment) Order 1995 and shall come into force on 6th February 1995.
(2) In this Order unless the context otherwise rquires—
“the Act” means the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990;
“establishment date” means 6th February 1995;
“operational date” has the meaning assigned to it in paragraph 3(1)(e) of Schedule 2 to the Act;
“the trust” means University Dental Hospital National Health Service Trust established by article 2 of this Order.
Establishment of the trust
2. There is hereby established an NHS trust which shall be called University Dental Hospital National Health Service Trust.
Nature and functions of the trust
3.—(1) The trust is established for the purpose specified in section 5(1)(a) of the Act.
(2) The trust’s functions (which include functions which the Secretary of State considers appropriate in relation to the provision of services by the trust for one or more health authorities) shall be to own and manage the establishment or facility known as the Dental Hospital and School, Heath Park, Cardiff CF4 4XY and establishments associated with that hospital including the management of the facilities provided at and from those establishments and also including the management of any teaching and research facilities associated with those establishments and the support services related thereto.
Directors of the trust
4. The trust shall have, in addition to the chairman, 4 non-executive directors, one of whom shall be appointed from the University of Wales, and 4 executive directors.
Operational date and accounting date of the trust
5.—(1) The operational date of the trust shall be 1st April 1995.
(2) The accounting date of the trust shall be 31st March.
Limited functions before operational date
6. Between its establishment date and its operational date the trust shall have the functions–
(a)of entering into NHS contracts;
(b)of entering into other contracts including contracts of employment; and
(c)of doing such other things as are reasonably necessary to enable it to begin to operate satisfactorily with effect from its operational date.
Assistance by health authorities before operational date
7.—(1) South Glamorgan Health Authority shall—
(a)until the operational date make such staff and facilities available to the trust as are required to enable the trust to carry out its limited functions pending the transfer or appointment of staff to or by the trust and the transfer of facilities to the trust;
(b)make available such premises as are required to enable the trust to carry out its limited functions pending the transfer of premises to the trust.
(2) South Glamorgan Health Authority shall discharge the liabilities of the trust, incurred between the establishment date and the operational date, that are of a description specified in paragraph (3) of this article.
(3) The liabilities referred to in the preceding paragraph are—
(a)liability for the remuneration and travelling or other allowances of the chairman and non-executive directors of the trust;
(b)liability for the travelling or other allowances of the members of committees and sub-committees of the trust who are not also directors of the trust;
(c)liability for the remuneration of persons employed by the trust; and
(d)any other liability which may reasonably be incurred by the trust for the purpose of enabling it to begin to operate satisfactorily with effect from the operational date.
(4) The health authority specified for the purposes of paragraph 3(1)(f) of Schedule 2 to the Act (authority which is to make the scheme under section 6 of the Act for the transfer of staff) in relation to the trust shall be South Glamorgan Health Authority.
Restriction on disposal of assets
8. The sum specified for the purposes of paragraph 6(2)(d) of Schedule 2 to the Act (maximum value of freely disposable assets) in relation to the trust shall be £1,000,000.
Secretary of State for Wales
16th January 1995
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order establishes University Dental Hospital National Health Service Trust, an NHS trust provided for in section 5 of the National Health Service and Community Care Act 1990. It also provides for the functions of the trust both before (article 6) and after (article 3) its operational date (the date on which it assumes all its functions). It specifies the operational date and the accounting date of the trust (article 5) and makes provision for assistance to the trust by health authorities before its operational date (article 7). It specifies the value of assets in excess of which the Secretary of State is to consider the disposal of the asset (article 8).
1990 c. 19; paragraph 1 of Schedule 2 is cited for the definition of “an order”.