1995 No. 552
The British Citizenship (Designated Service) (Amendment) Order 1995
5th March 1995
Laid before Parliament
10th March 1995
Coming into force
1st April 1995
Whereas I consider service under the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils, the European Conference of Ministers of Transport, the International Energy Agency and the Organisation for Economic Co–operation and Development to be closely associated with the activities outside the United Kingdom of Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom;
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred upon me by section 2(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981(1), I hereby make the following Order:
1. This Order may be cited as the British Citizenship (Designated Service) (Amendment) Order 1995 and shall come into force on 1st April 1995.
2. In the Schedule to the British Citizenship (Designated Service) Order 1982(2) (which specifies descriptions of service designated for the purposes of section 2 of the British Nationality Act 1981)—
(a)in paragraph 13, “19” shall be substituted for “18”; and
(b)after paragraph 18 there shall be inserted—
“19. Service under the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils.
20. Service under the European Conference of Ministers of Transport.
21. Service under the International Energy Agency.
22. Service under the Organisation for Economic Co–operation and Development.”.
One of Her Majesty’s Principal Secretaries of State
5th March 1995
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
Section 2 of the British Nationality Act 1981 (c. 61) provides that a person born outside the United Kingdom after commencement of the Act is a British citizen if at the time of the birth his father or mother is a British citizen and is serving outside the United Kingdom in service designated by the Secretary of State, recruitment for that service having taken place in the United Kingdom. Various types of service are designated for the purposes of this provision by the British Citizenship (Designated Service) Order 1982.
This Order amends that Order so as to include, in the types of service so designated, service under any of the four organisations specified in article 2(b).
1981 c. 61.
S.I. 1982/1004, amended by S.I. 1982/1709, 1984/1766, 1987/611, 1990/28 and 1994/556.