1995 No. 578
BETTING, GAMING AND LOTTERIES
The Licensed Betting Offices (Amendment) Regulations 1995
6th March 1995
Laid before Parliament
14th March 1995
Coming into force
6th April 1995
The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 10(6) of the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963(1) and paragraph 3 of Schedule 4 to that Act, having regard to the definition of “prescribed” in section 55(1) of that Act, hereby makes the following Regulations:
(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Licensed Betting Offices (Amendment) Regulations 1995 and shall come into force on 6th April 1995.
(2) These Regulations shall not extend to Scotland.
2. In these Regulations—
(a)“the 1963 Act” means the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963;
(b)“the 1986 Regulations” means the Licensed Betting Offices Regulations 1986(2) .
Restrictions on Advertisements to which section 10(6)(b) of the 1963 Act Applies
3. The words “or which consists of, or includes, any moving display or moving image” in paragraph (1)(c) of regulation 4 of the 1986 Regulations shall be omitted.
4. In regulation 5(2) of the 1986 regulations—
(a)the word “and” in sub-paragraph (b) shall be omitted;
(b)the following sub-paragraphs shall be inserted after sub-paragraph (c)—
“(d)text indicating the facilities afforded to persons resorting to the licensed betting office concerned;
(e)text indicating the range of bets available in the licensed betting office concerned; and
(f)text providing information relating to any event in connection with which betting transactions may be or have been effected in the licensed betting office concerned, including information as to the odds available on any particular event.”.
Notices in Licensed Betting Offices
5. The words “, but not in such a place that the notice exhibited can be read from outside those premises,” in paragraph (2) of regulation 7 of the 1986 Regulations shall be omitted.
One of Her Majesty’s Principal Secretaries of State
6th March 1995
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
These Regulations amend those parts of the Licensed Betting Offices Regulations 1986 (S.I. 1986/103) which concern the advertisements which may be published outside a licensed betting office and the display of notices inside such an office.
The Regulations remove the prohibition on advertisements which consist of, or include, moving displays or moving images and extend the range of matters in respect of which text may be included in an advertisement.
The Regulations also remove the restriction on statutory notices which set out the terms on which the licensee invites persons to bet being exhibited so as to be read from outside the premises.
1963 c. 2; section 10(6) was inserted by section 2 of the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries (Amendment) Act 1984 (c. 25).
S.I. 1986/103 as amended by S.I. 1993/51.