1995 No. 2550
The Video Recordings (Labelling) (Amendment) Regulations 1995
27th September 1995
Laid before Parliament
6th October 1995
Coming into force
1st November 1995
The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 8 of the Video Recordings Act 1984(1), hereby makes the following Regulations:
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Video Recordings (Labelling) (Amendment) Regulations 1995 and shall come into force on 1st November 1995, subject to regulation 3.
2.—(1) The Video Recordings (Labelling) Regulations 1985(2) are amended in accordance with paragraphs (2) to (6) below.
(2) In regulation 2(1), after the definition of “spine” add:
““unique title” means the title assigned to a video work under section 4(1)(b)(ia) of the Act.”(3).
(3) In regulation 2(2)(a):
(a)insert the following items as the first items in columns (1) and (2) respectively(4):
A statement within section 7(2)(a) of the Act with advice as to the particular suitability of the video work for viewing by young children.
UNIVERSAL. Particularly suitable for young children.”;
(b)in item 2 in column (1), before “item 1” add “item A1 or”.
(4) In regulation 4(1), after “the appropriate symbol” add “and the unique title”.
(5) In regulation 5, for “the appropriate symbol is or the appropriate symbol and the appropriate explanatory statement are”, substitute “the appropriate symbol, the unique title or the appropriate explanatory statement, or any combination of them, is or are”.
(6) In regulation 9(1), for “the appropriate symbol is or the appropriate symbol and the appropriate explanatory statement are”, substitute “the appropriate symbol, the unique title or the appropriate explanatory statement, or any combination of them, is or are”.
3. The amendments made by paragraphs (4), (5) and (6) of regulation 2 shall only have effect with respect to a video recording if it contains a video work which has not been included in a video recording lawfully supplied or offered for supply in the United Kingdom before 1st November 1995.
Minister of State
27th September 1995
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
These Regulations, which come into force on 1st November 1995, amend the Video Recordings (Labelling) Regulations 1985 in two respects. First, labels on recordings of new video works (those not available before 1st November 1995) will contain the unique title assigned to them on classification. Second, a new explanatory statement is introduced, indicating those works which the authority responsible for video classification consider to be particularly suitable for young children.
1984 c. 39.
Sub-paragraph (ia) was inserted into section 4(1)(b) by section 1(1) of the Video Recordings Act 1993 (c. 24).
Section 7(2)(a), which is referred to in the item in column (1), was amended by section 90(2) of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (c. 33).