Part I Ordinary Time Limits for Different Classes of Action
Time limits under Part I subject to extension or exclusion under Part II
1. Time limits under Part I subject to extension or exclusion under Part II.
Actions founded on tort
2. Time limit for actions founded on tort.
3. Time limit in case of successive conversions and extinction of title of owner of converted goods.
4. Special time limit in case of theft.
4A. Time limit for actions for defamation or malicious falsehood.
Actions founded on simple contract
5. Time limit for actions founded on simple contract.
6. Special time limit for actions in respect of certain loans.
7. Time limit for actions to enforce certain awards.
General rule for actions on a specialty
8. Time limit for actions on a specialty.
Actions for sums recoverable by statute
9. Time limit for actions for sums recoverable by statute.
10. Special time limit for claiming contribution.
Actions in respect of wrongs causing personal injuries or death
11. Special time limit for actions in respect of personal injuries.
11A. Actions in respect of defective products.
12. Special time limit for actions under Fatal Accidents legislation.
13. Operation of time limit under section 12 in relation to different dependants.
14. Definition of date of knowledge for purposes of sections 11 and 12.
Actions in respect of latent damage not involving personal injuries
14A. Special time limit for negligence actions where facts relevant to cause of action are not known at date of accrual.
14B. Overriding time limit for negligence actions not involving personal injuries.
Actions to recover land and rent
15. Time limit for actions to recover land.
16. Time limit for redemption actions.
17. Extinction of title to land after expiration of time limit.
18. Settled land and land held on trust.
19. Time limit for actions to recover rent.
19A. Actions for breach of commonhold duty
Actions to recover money secured by a mortgage or charge or to recover proceeds of the sale of land
20. Time limit for actions to recover money secured by a mortgage or charge or to recover proceeds of the sale of land.
Actions in respect of trust property or the personal estate of deceased persons
21. Time limit for actions in respect of trust property.
22. Time limit for actions claiming personal estate of a deceased person.
Actions for an account
23. Time limit in respect of actions for an account.
Miscellaneous and supplemental
24. Time limit for actions to enforce judgments.
25. Time limit for actions to enforce advowsons and extinction of title to advowsons.
26. Administration to date back to death.
27. Cure of defective disentailing assurance.
27A. Actions for recovery of property obtained through unlawful conduct etc.
27B.Actions for recovery of property for purposes of an external order
Part II Extension or Exclusion of Ordinary Time Limits
28. Extension of limitation period in case of disability.
28A. Extension for cases where the limitation period is the period under section 14A(4)(b).
Acknowledgment and part payment
29. Fresh accrual of action on acknowledgment or part payment.
30. Formal provisions as to acknowledgments and part payments.
31. Effect of acknowledgment or part payment on persons other than the maker or recipient.
Fraud, concealment and mistake
32. Postponement of limitation period in case of fraud, concealment or mistake.
Discretionary exclusion of time limit for actions for defamation or malicious falsehood
32A. Discretionary exclusion of time limit for actions for defamation or malicious falsehood.
Discretionary exclusion of time limit for actions in respect of personal injuries or death
33. Discretionary exclusion of time limit for actions in respect of personal injuries or death.
Part III Miscellaneous and General
34. Application of Act and other limitation enactments to arbitrations.
35. New claims in pending actions: rules of court.
36. Equitable jurisdiction and remedies.
37. Application to the Crown and the Duke of Cornwall.
39. Saving for other limitation enactments.
40. Transitional provisions, amendments and repeals.
41. Short title, commencement and extent.
Provisions with Respect to Actions to Recover Land
Part I Accrual of Rights of Action to Recover Land
Accrual of right of action in case of present interests in land
1.Where the person bringing an action to recover land, or...
2.Where any person brings an action to recover any land...
3.Where any person brings an action to recover land, being...
Accrual of right of action in case of future interests
4.The right of action to recover any land shall, in...
5.(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2) below, a tenancy from year...
6.(1) Where— (a) any person is in possession of land...
Accrual of right of action in case of forfeiture or breach of condition
7.(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2) below, a right of action...
Right of action not to accrue or continue unless there is adverse possession
8.(1) No right of action to recover land shall be...
Possession of beneficiary not adverse to others interested in settled land or land held on trust for sale
9.Where any settled land or any land subject to a...
Part II Modification of Section 15 where Crown or Certain Corporations Sole are involved
10.Subject to paragraph 11 below, section 15(1) of this Act...
11.(1) An action to recover foreshore may be brought by...
12.Notwithstanding section 15(1) of this Act, where in the case...
13.Section 15(2) of this Act shall apply in any case...
1.Nothing in this Act shall affect the operation of section...
2.The amendment made by section 14(1) of the Limitation Act...
3.It is hereby declared that a decision taken at any...
4.(1) In section 33(6) of this Act the reference to...
5.Notwithstanding anything in section 29(7) of this Act or in...
6.Section 28 of the Limitation Act 1939 (provisions as to...
7.Section 37(2)(c) of this Act shall be treated for the...
8.In relation to a lease granted before the coming into...
9.(1) Nothing in any provision of this Act shall—
1.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
2.In section 21A of the Administration of Estates Act 1925...
3.In section 2(1) of the Limitation (Enemies and War Prisoners)...
4.In section 3(4) of the Charitable Trusts (Validation) Act 1954...
5.In section 5(3) of the Carriage by Air Act 1961...
6.In section 7(2)(a) of the Carriage of Goods by Road...
7.In paragraph 7(6) of Schedule 3 to the Agriculture Act...
8.In paragraph 6(2) of Schedule 3 to the Mines and...
9.In section 25(5) of the Law of Property Act 1969...
10.In section 10 of the Animals Act 1971 (application of...
11.In section 2(4) of the Deposit of Poisonous Waste Act...
12.In section 88(4) of the Control of Pollution Act 1974...