1999 No. 3250
METROPOLITAN AND CITY POLICE DISTRICTS
The London Cab (No. 2) Order 1999
6th December 1999
Coming into force
29th December 1999
The Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 9 of the Metropolitan Public Carriage Act 1869(1), section 1 of the London Cab and Stage Carriage Act 1907(2) and section 1 of the London Cab Act 1968(3), hereby makes the following Order.
Citation, commencement and introduction
1. This Order may be cited as the London Cab (No. 2) Order 1999 and shall come into force on 29th December 1999.
2. The London Cab Order 1934(4) shall be amended in accordance with the following provisions of this Order.
Amendments to paragraph 41 (extra charges payable for the hiring of a motor cab)
3.—(1) Paragraph 41 shall be amended as follows.
(2) In sub-paragraph (2)(a), at the beginning, for “In addition to” there shall be substituted “Subject to sub-paragraphs (5) and (6), in addition to”.
(3) In sub-paragraph (3) after “prescribed in this paragraph” there shall be inserted “, other than that prescribed by virtue of sub-paragraph (6),”.
(4) After sub-paragraph (4) there shall be added–
“(5) Sub-paragraph (2)(a)(i) shall not apply in relation to a hiring which–
(a)commences or terminates between the hours of 8pm on 31st December 1999 and 6am on 1st January 2000, and
(b)meets the requirements of sub-paragraph (7).
(6) In relation to such a hiring an extra charge of–
(b)if less, a sum equal to the aggregate of–
(i)the fare payable for that hiring in accordance with the last preceding paragraph, and
(ii)any extra charge payable for that hiring in accordance with sub-paragraphs (1) and (2)(a)(v) of this paragraph, shall be payable by the hirer for the whole of the journey to which the hiring relates in addition to the fare payable for that hiring in accordance with the last preceding paragraph.
(7) The requirements referred to in sub-paragraph (5) are that a notice setting out how the extra charge payable by virtue of sub-paragraph (6) is to be computed is kept prominently displayed in the cab throughout the hiring in a form approved by the Assistant Commissioner and in such manner as to be clearly legible by the hirer.”
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State,
Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions
6th December 1999
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order makes special provision for the extra charges payable for the hiring of a motor cab licensed in the Metropolitan Police District and the City of London in respect of all journeys beginning and ending there.
In relation to a hiring which commences or terminates between the hours of 8pm on 31st December 1999 and 6am on 1st January 2000 the normal New Years Eve supplement of £3 does not apply, subject to certain requirements being met.
A special “Millennium” supplement of £25 or, if less, a sum equal to the aggregate of the standard fare for that hiring based on time and distance and any extra charges payable in respect of additional passengers, luggage and telephone bookings, is payable provided an approved notice setting out how the charge is to be computed is kept prominently displayed in the cab throughout the hiring in such manner as to be clearly legible by the hirer. This extra charge need not be displayed on the taximeter.
In the case of a hiring in respect of which the notice requirements are not met or which is one accepted under the London Taxi Sharing Scheme, the normal New Year’s Eve supplement continues to apply.
1869 c. 115.
1907 c. 55.
1968 c. 7.
S.R. and O. 1934/1346; relevant amending instruments are S.I. 1980/588, 1982/610, 1984/707, 1990/2003, 1996/1176 and 1999/1117.