1999 No. 3272
The Greater London Authority Act 1999 (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) (Police) order 1999
8th December 1999
Laid before Parliament
10th December 1999
Coming into force
1st January 2000
In exercise of the powers conferred upon him by sections 405(2) and 406 of the Greater London Authority Act 1999(1), the Secretary of State hereby makes the following Order:
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Greater London Authority Act 1999 (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) (Police) Order 1999 and shall come into force on 1st January 2000.
(2) In this Order, “the 1999 Act” means the Greater London Authority Act 1999.
2.—(1) From 1st January 2000 to 31st March 2000, the chief officer of police of a police force maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996(2) for the police area of Essex, Hertfordshire or Surrey may with the agreement of the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis provide constables from that force to the metropolitan police force in preparation for the change effected as a result of section 323 of the 1999 Act.
(2) While a constable is provided under this article to the metropolitan police force, he shall be under the direction and control of the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis, notwithstanding section 10(1) of the Police Act 1996.
(3) The police authority maintaining the metropolitan police force shall pay to the police authority maintaining a police force from which constables are provided under this article such contribution (if any) as may be agreed upon by those police authorities.
(4) This article is without prejudice to any other power of a chief officer of police to provide constables or other assistance to another police force.
3. Where constables are provided from one police force to another pursuant to section 324 of the 1999 Act or article 2 above, section 88 of the Police Act 1996 shall apply as if those constables were included in subsection (5)(b) of that section.
Lord Steve Bassam
Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State
8th December 1999
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order makes consequential and transitional provision in relation to the alteration of the boundary of the metropolitan police district effected as a result of section 323 of the Greater London Authority Act 1999. Section 323 is brought into force with effect from 1st April 2000 by The Greater London Authority Act 1999 (Commencement No. 1) Order 1999 (S.I. 1999/3271 (c. 87)). Article 2 provides that officers may be provided from the police areas of Essex, Hertfordshire and Surrey to the metropolitan police force from 1st January 2000 to 31st March 2000 in preparation for the boundary change.
Article 3 provides that where constables are provided from one police force to another under article 2 of this order or section 324 of the 1999 Act (provision of members of metropolitan police force to Essex, Hertfordshire or Surrey) those constables are to be treated as for the time being required to serve with that force for the purposes of section 88(5)(b) of the Police Act 1996 (police authority power to pay damages etc. in respect of torts).
1999 c. 29.
1996 c. 16.