1998 No. 874 (S.44)
The Housing Support Grant (Scotland) Order 1998
17th March 1998
Coming into force
1st April 1998
The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 191 and 192 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987(1) and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, after consultation with such associations of local authorities as appear to him to be concerned and with the consent of the Treasury, hereby makes the following Order, a draft of which has been approved by the House of Commons:
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Housing Support Grant (Scotland) Order 1998 and shall come into force on 1st April 1998.
(2) In this Order–
(a)“the number of houses of the authority” means the estimate of the number of houses to which the housing revenue account of the authority, at 30th September 1998, relates; and
(b)any reference to any type of expenditure, charge or income which is estimated is a reference to such an estimate made by the Secretary of State.
Aggregate amount of grants for 1998-99
2. The aggregate amount of the housing support grants for the year 1998-99 shall be £12,693,365.
Apportionment of grants for 1998-99
3.—(1) The aggregate amount of the housing support grants for the year 1998-99 shall be divided into 2 portions, the “general portion” and the “hostel portion”.
(2) The general portion shall amount to £9,326,004 and shall be apportioned among the local authorities listed in Schedule 1 to this Order according to their respective estimated net expenditures for the year 1998-99 assessed in the manner provided for in Schedule 2 to this Order.
(3) The hostel portion shall amount to £3,367,361 and shall be apportioned among the local authorities listed in Schedule 3 to this Order according to their respective estimated net expenditures for the year 1998-99 on those buildings specified in paragraph 1(1)(e) of Schedule 15 to the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 (which provides for lodging houses and hostels as buildings for the purposes of a local authority’s housing revenue account).
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Scottish Office
St Andrew’s House Edinburgh
4th March 1998
Jon Owen Jones
Two of the Lords Commissioners of Her Majesty’s Treasury
17th March 1998
SCHEDULE 1LOCAL AUTHORITIES RECEIVING PROPORTION OF GENERAL PORTION FOR 1998-99
Comhairle nan Eilean Siar
SCHEDULE 2ASSESSMENT OF ESTIMATED NET EXPENDITURE OF SCHEDULE 1 LOCAL AUTHORITIES FOR 1998-99 FOR APPORTIONMENT OF GENERAL PORTION
The estimated net expenditure of a local authority listed in Schedule 1 to this Order for the purposes of apportionment of the general portion shall be the amount arrived at by addition of the amounts specified in items 1 to 5 below less the amounts specified in items 6 and 7 below.
1. Estimated loan charges due to be debited to the local authority’s housing revenue account for the year 1998-99 under paragraph 3(a) of Schedule 15 to the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987 other than loan charges in respect of hostels and lodging houses.
2. For supervision and management–
(a)£209.22 multiplied by the number of houses of the authority; and
(b)for authorities with stocks of houses not exceeding 9,000 a supplementary amount of–
(i)£83.69 in the case of an authority with not more than 3,000 houses;
(ii)£41.84 in the case of an authority with more than 3,000 but not more than 6,000 houses;
(iii)£20.92 in the case of an authority with more than 6,000 but not more than 9,000 houses,
multiplied in each case by the number of houses of the authority.
3. For repairs and maintenance–
(a)£585.19 multiplied by the number of houses of the authority; and
(b)supplementary amounts of–
(i)£907.04 multiplied by the number of houses of the authority contained in blocks of flats of 15 or more storeys; and
(ii)£409.63 multiplied by the number of houses of the authority contained in blocks of flats of 5 or more but less than 15 storeys, with lifts.
4. Estimated rents lost because of unlet houses.
5. Estimated other miscellaneous expenditure which may properly be included in the authority’s housing revenue account.
6. £2,108.93 multiplied by the number of the authority’s houses other than houses leased by the authority for periods of 5 years or less.
7. Estimated income other than rental income which may properly be included in the authority’s housing revenue account.
SCHEDULE 3LOCAL AUTHORITIES RECEIVING PROPORTION OF HOSTEL PORTION FOR 1998-99
Argyll and Bute
City of Edinburgh
Dumfries and Galloway
Perth and Kinross
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order fixes for the year 1998-99 the aggregate amount of the housing support grants payable to some local authorities under section 191 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987; lists the councils among whom the grants will be apportioned; and prescribes the method of apportionment among those councils of the general and hostel portions of the aggregate amount.
1987 c. 26; sections 191(10) and 192(6) were amended by the Housing (Scotland) Act 1988 (c. 43), Schedule 8, paragraphs 4 and 5 respectively.